Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Just need some support - down about having chronic illness

(10 Posts)
Medicaltextbook Sun 14-May-17 22:33:30

Sorry this is a bit long - it does feel good expressing this because I don't feel able to irl.
The latest is a short operation this week. It's not very serious or long surgery. It is necessary and I will go ahead. normally I'm not too bothered, just today I'm just tired of having things done, taking medication and having appointments.

I think the physical issues are leaving me feeling low. I'm not depressed at the moment but have depression so want to try to feel a bit better about myself. I don't like my body - not bothered about my appearance, I just wish it worked properly.

I know I'm very lucky to be healthy and a lot of people (including on MN) are dealing with life threatening or changing illness. I'm also lucky to live in a place I can get healthcare.

Right now I just want to be one of those people who has the odd illness but otherwise fit.

Can anyone else understand just wanting to be well?

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Sun 14-May-17 22:51:56

I understand. I don't really have any advice though. I hope your operation goes well flowers

Sometimes I'm tempted to just run away and ignore my appointments and pretend I'm healthy confusedgrin

SingaSong12 Mon 15-May-17 23:03:35

Thanks.

Medicaltextbook Mon 15-May-17 23:10:11

So much for me name changing - forgot to change back. Guess I need to be more careful or just maybe not as bothered.

user1469751309 Mon 15-May-17 23:12:16

I totally get this also have a chronic illness and it can be very wearing even though like you I know I'm so much better off than a lot of people but sometimes I wish my body worked properly. Hugs OP

Kahlua4me Mon 15-May-17 23:19:31

Sometimes it just becomes a nuisance to be ill, I think. My dh has arthritis and on the whole manges well but does have days where he is pissed off with it and wishes his body still worked as it should.

Now that meds seem to be working, right px etc, he is relatively pain free so is able to work ok but often says he would love to go to the park with DS for a kick about.

Even if you know you are luckier than some others as your problems are not life threatening, you can still get fed up as it would be lovely to be well. It doesn't matter at times, how much better you are than others as you still have to deal with your issues every day.

SingaSong12 Tue 16-May-17 20:10:18

It's OP - had my surgery went well - v tired so asked not be discharged-- was surprised they would send me phone (with a relative) at 8pm, probably 8.30. Just told them didn't feel steady due to the oral morphine. Staff all brilliant.

SingaSong12 Tue 16-May-17 20:12:45

Home not phone

Kahlua4me Tue 16-May-17 22:04:46

Glad to hear your op went well. Hope you get a good nights sleep even though you are in hospital.
Best to stay in overnight if you are feeling unsteady

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Tue 16-May-17 23:42:59

Good news that the op went well. I hope it is beneficial flowers sleep well!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now