Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

To take my father to A&E ASAP?

(35 Posts)
emelxxo Sun 14-May-17 22:05:33


I'm so desperate and have resorted to coming onto mumsnet to ask for help and what i should do.. My father had a car incident back in february and since then has suffered back pain. It's been found out that he has 2 slipped discs i think. I dont know the details but he is in horrendous pain. It has only gotten worse since then. He cant sit down properly, cant walk and these couple of days has been screaming of pain. He was given pain medication by the GP and takes them every couple of hours, his last physio appointment was on Friday and he's worse than he was when he started physio! Hes currently downstairs groaning because of the pain and he cant sleep, he hasnt been sleeping for a couple of days now. I would see him fall asleep for a maximum of 2 hours before waking up because of the pain.

Im not sure what to do but im so tempted to take him to A&E but i dont want to be a burden on the NHS if this isnt a serious issue. I also dont want to go there and make him wait 3 hours only to be given a packet of paracetamol and being told to go home and make an appointment with the GP. My father has a very high pain tolerance so to see him like this is so shocking, what should i do?

BrexitSucks Sun 14-May-17 22:06:55

What pain killers is he on now?
Could you try out of hours GP instead? Explain that he's in agony.

emelxxo Sun 14-May-17 22:09:41

He's on co codamol and i was thinking of calling 111 to see what i should do but i've never been in this situation before.. Im 17 and this is really daunting for me and i feel so hopeless

dalmatianmad Sun 14-May-17 22:10:03

This a long term problem and deffo
doesn't warrant A+E! He needs a referral to the pain team for more suitable analgesia.
Hope you get sorted....

NSEA Sun 14-May-17 22:11:18

People and their "birden on the nhs" paranoia. Stop worrying about being a burden.

I would call the non emergency number and get their advice, personally. Especially as he has already been seen by medical professionals.

Ensure they understand how much agony he is in.

emelxxo Sun 14-May-17 22:11:27

It has gotten worse and has spread to his legs so its not just his back anymore, is that normal? Do you think i should just make him an appointment with the GP and hopefully he'll get referred?

blue2014 Sun 14-May-17 22:11:45

Oh you poor love, call 111 and explain. Tell them you feel that way too.

Lots of love to you xx keep posted here if you need to (sorry I'm off to sleep as I've a baby sleeping but others will be around im sure)


PandoraMole Sun 14-May-17 22:11:47

Definitely call 111. Tbh if it gets any worse or 111 recommend hospital I would suggest you call an ambulance rather than try and get him to A & E yourself with a back injury.

Is there anyone else you can call round to be with you?

shouldnthavesaid Sun 14-May-17 22:12:24

Can you phone 111? Is it just you and him at home? He needs stronger pain relief perhaps - the pain from a slipped disc as you and he are finding out can be bloody awful. Sympathies with you both x

RandomMess Sun 14-May-17 22:13:00

That doesn't sound at all normal, please call 111 and seek their advice.

ArabellaRockerfella Sun 14-May-17 22:13:49

He can take 2 ibuprofen as well as his co-codamol. This may help take the edge off to help him sleep. Make an appointment to go back to the GP as an urgent case to find a more effective pain relief and a referral to a pain clinic or spinal specialist.
Good luck xx

NormaSmuff Sun 14-May-17 22:13:57

What other tablets does he have op

shouldnthavesaid Sun 14-May-17 22:15:06

Yes , leg pain is normal - just means the sciatic nerve is inflamed . It's to do with the location of the discs that have 'slipped'. What does require urgent assistance is numbness between the legs , numbness to the legs/feet and loss of bladder/bowel control (including the inability to pee). That's unlikely to happen but does require A&E as it indicates quite a severe level of chord compression (where the disc is pushing in on the spinal chord).

user1468594353 Sun 14-May-17 22:21:00

Yes I have a slipped disc and I get excruciating pains down my left leg. It's called sciatica and it's really common with back injuries. I had some really good painkillers called diclofenac. Persist with your doctor and get a scan on his back. He needs to stretch the muscle out so lie flat on the ground and push his knees into his chest and hold it there for like 20 seconds. Keep doing it.

Good luck!

emelxxo Sun 14-May-17 22:30:35

I just called 111 and theyre sending an ambulance out ASAP, they werent worried at first until i told them that he had numbing all down his foot and that he couldnt feel his toes, they sent an ambulance out straight away.. ill post again to let you know what happens but hopefully he'll be able to get some diclofenac, ill ask the ambulance crew about it and see what they can do

OhTheRoses Sun 14-May-17 22:40:18

I am very pleased an ambulance has been sent. I have an 18 year old daughter and in your situation I would hope the NHS would help your father and you in a caring and holistic way. It is equally important that your father and you are cared for and supported.

You sound like a fabulous and very mature young woman. You can only support your dad if you have accurate information about what is wrong and clear guidance about what he needs.

Good luck tonight.

123bananas Sun 14-May-17 22:47:23

I hope he is alright emel. My DH had to go to A&E with back pain, numbness and problems urinating after an injury recently. Luckily it was not cauda equina (spinal nerve compression) just very bad sciatica. They took it very seriously though. I hope your father will be seen quickly and given some decent pain relief. You did the right thing to phone for advice and get him help.

HappyAxolotl Sun 14-May-17 22:48:01

You've done the right thing. 111 staff know where to point you to and send ambulances if they feel it is necessary. I hope your dad gets what he needs and you both feel better soon.

SoupDragon Sun 14-May-17 22:51:00

Hope he gets this sorted

Finola1step Sun 14-May-17 22:55:49

We'll done Em, you definitely did the right thing.

Wolfiefan Sun 14-May-17 22:57:01

I'm glad he's on his way in. Definitely the right call.

FlossieFrog Sun 14-May-17 22:59:14

You've done the right thing. If it's cauda equina it needs emergency surgery within 24 hours to avoid permanent damage. Numbness in the bottom and legs is indicative of this. My husband had it, and following surgery is in a better state than he was in the 2-3 years prior. I hope your Dad gets better soon.

Scrowy Sun 14-May-17 23:01:41

Em I've been in exactly the same situation at around the same age as you. My dad was admitted for two nights and given an epidural for the pain in the first night.

GlitteryFluff Sun 14-May-17 23:07:32

Well done
You did the right thing
I hope he's ok

MrsMozart Sun 14-May-17 23:11:45

Everything crossed xx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: