Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone had pneumonia..?

(13 Posts)
laurzj82 Sun 14-May-17 16:27:38

Feeling a bit sorry for myself. Rushed to hospital on Tues with shortness of breath and turns out I have double pneumonia. Kept in overnight for fluids and IV ABs then back in Thurs as breathing was bad again. Discharged me home with an inhaler.

Feeling a bit better, temp ok but still can't breathe. Having to use a commode that was my late DM's because I can't do the stairs to our upstairs bathroom. Sleeping sitting up on the couch because I can't breathe unless I am bolt upright.

Just feeling a bit fed up and wondered if this is par for the course with pneumonia and how long it's likely to take before I feel better?

Tia

loveyoutothemoon Sun 14-May-17 17:16:28

Are you on oral antibiotics now?

laurzj82 Sun 14-May-17 17:32:26

Yes Loveyoutothemoon I have got a few days left

Hulababy Sun 14-May-17 17:38:38

I had pneumonia a few years back. I stayed in hospital for four nights mainly on IV ABs, then discharged with more ABs. However, it didn't clear quickly at all - I ended up with 4/5 weeks of ABs and 3 different types. My GP was really good at keeping in touch and monitoring me. I also had an inhaler for a while. If you don't feel it is improving, do return to your GP who will listen to your chest and may advise different medication.

However, it WILL take you a while to recover. It is important to have some complete rest and keep your fluids up. I was off work for 8 weeks in total and it took me several months to feel properly well. I had the inhaler for a good year or so afterwards too.

It is still early days however so chances are you will still be feeling quite poorly. Please take care and rest completely. Hope you start to feel better shortly.

Guiltypleasures001 Sun 14-May-17 17:48:50

Hi op

Yes I had it,

Had to have iv anti bollox and horse size pills. Was in hospital for a week, was on oxygen for the first couple of days and honestly thought I was going to die.

I had double pneumonia too like yourself, it does/can take weeks to recover, I was in marks and spencer Xmas shopping ten days after getting out of hospital, the floor came up to meet me whilst queueing for the till, and I woke up on the floor 🤔

Don't rush back to anything, it can seriously weaken your chest and immune system, took me over 4 weeks to feel anything like normal, and a couple of months after that feeling like I was out the other side

💐

laurzj82 Sun 14-May-17 17:57:40

Gosh it sounds like I am doing quite well then! I had no idea it could be that bad; I naively thought it was only bad if you were elderly or had asthma or something. I did think I might die at one point: very scary!

Thanks so much for your replies

Hulababy Sun 14-May-17 19:05:35

I think most people think that about pneumonia and don't expect them to be the ones to come down with it when fairly healthy and not that old (I was 37.) My doctor at the hospital laid down the facts really clearly to be - scary at the time, though as I was feeling so ill I don't think I took it in fully, but pneumonia is properly poorly and your body really does need time to recover from it.

MyBeloved Sun 14-May-17 21:39:21

Poor you OP flowers
I had prednisolone (oral steroids) as well as antibiotics when I had it.
Wishing you better very soon x

Judashascomeintosomemoney Sun 14-May-17 21:51:02

I think everyone must recover differently. I was discharged after a few days on fluids and intravenous AB and needing oxygen, with steroids, ABs, inhaler plus the meds that increases the inhaler efficiency. I was back to normal after two weeks. DH was in ITU for a week but when he was discharged it was with just ABs - he also took only two weeks to get back to normal. But DHs colleague, who had it at the same time as him, and wasn't in ITU, needed six months before he was fully fit.

Bella912 Sun 14-May-17 22:30:02

Took me about 7 weeks to feel human after my double pneumonia - hope you are on the mend soon

maggiso Mon 15-May-17 00:49:21

Poor you. Don't try to hurry getting well. It took me months! Do go back to the GP ( or get house visit) if you get worse or are not getting slowly better. You need rest and more rest. Hope you start to feel better soon.

laurzj82 Mon 15-May-17 06:27:21

Thanks all. Feel very short of breath again this morning so think I will pop down to the GP. Do you think they will give me steroids?

FruitBadger Mon 15-May-17 06:36:47

Have they given you in inhaler? I was given a blue puffer style o e and it definitely helped.

I had pneumonia around 18 months ago. Managed to avoid a hospital admission but had 3 courses of antibiotics and was off work for a month in total. I was 34, fit and healthy at the time. I was very short of breath after any type of exertion for a long time afterwards. Fine now but of I catch a cold it goes straight to my chest and I have had two which have led to further courses of antibiotics as I struggled to shift the cough. I also need to use the inhaler to try to keep it off my chest and help me cough the gunk up (possibly TMI, sorry!)

Before I had no history or asthma or other breathing problems and hadn't needed antibiotic for 16 years. It will floor you flowersi

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now