Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Indent in face - skin cancer?

(11 Posts)
Comps83 Sat 13-May-17 18:56:20

For years I have had a small mark just right of my mouth on my cheek. It's not a mole or freckle, it actually looks exactly like a pock mark but I know it's not. It's been there so long I can't remember and hasn't caused me any bother. A while ago I noticed there was a long tube like lump under and to the side of it and the last few days I feel like the indent is getting worse.
All I can think of is skin cancer but I can't see anything similar to this when looking at the different forms of skins cancers.

MyheartbelongstoG Sat 13-May-17 18:58:37

Hi OP, Could it be an ingrown hair type thing?

Comps83 Sat 13-May-17 19:00:58

Hmmm I don't think so. I have had terrible skin in the past and it does look like a scar but I know I didn't have a bad spot there it just appeared. I do have quite a bit of scarring but not really pock marks as such, think having such oily skin saved me from bad scarring.

Mise1978 Sat 13-May-17 19:06:44

Visit a Dermatologist. Doesn't really sound like skin cancer. And skin cancer - the deadly kind, melanoma is actually quite rare.

DejaVuDieter Sat 13-May-17 19:09:19

My DH gets indents with a plug in them. It's like a blackhead without the black head, if that makes sense.

Enidblyton1 Sat 13-May-17 19:11:02

It's doesn't sound like skin cancer, but get it checked out asap anyway.

Comps83 Sat 13-May-17 19:11:15

The only thing close is Basal skin cancer but even then it doesn't really match the description. I'm looking every time I pass a mirror now as I'm sure it's indented more than before. I always cover it with make up but I can still see it now.
Should I go through gp or do I have to go straight to dermo anyone know?

Enidblyton1 Sat 13-May-17 19:24:04

You can do either. GP is free, but you won't obviously be seeing a skin specialist.
I think I paid about £80 a couple of years ago to see a dermatologist at a private hospital and it gave me peace of mind - whole body check.

Comps83 Sat 13-May-17 19:34:19

I could do with a whole body check anyway, since my parents believed that as a small child it was my responsibility to make sure I was wearing sunscreen. And oh how they laughed that time I fell asleep on the sun lounger around age 8 and burnt to a crisp. Hilarious.

DubiousCredentials Sun 14-May-17 20:36:49

shock at your parents. You poor thing flowers

augustusglupe Mon 15-May-17 00:07:55

Yep, sounds a bit like a Basal cell. Get it checked. I had one 8 years ago and had it cut out. It was just next to my nose and was pink. It did eventually cause a slight indent which is what drove me to the docs. It may be nothing, but I'd pop to the GP and get it checked out x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now