Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Gallstones? IBS?

(7 Posts)
Eyerolling Sat 13-May-17 08:23:56

I've suspected I've had IBS for a while. I have always been at risk of an upset stomach if I eat a rich meal, especially if I've eaten lightly throughout the day. The issue is totally random, there doesnt appear to be too much of a specific trigger but I suspect a combination of butter / cheese and heavy carbs can trigger an attack.

When the attack happens, within minutes of me eating I get a crampy feeling in my stomach, I start to feel woozy and and I can literally feel the colour draining out of me. I need to rush to the loo, then again and again up to about 4 times until my bowel is empty. I have loose, copious stool and afterwards feel washed out and tender for the next day or so.

It happened the night before last. Went out for a meal with a friend and chose Lasagne, Garlic Bread etc. Within minutes I felt I needed the loo and went about 4 times (praying I'd make it to the loo each time). Yesterday though, Ive had indigestion type pain under my left ribs all day and the amount of gas I've had is unreal, from both ends. I've got trapped wind everywhere, moving around under my ribs, up to my upper back at times too.

I'm beginning to wonder by the location of the pain if this is a pancreas / gallstone issue. Is this the typical symptoms of gallstones or could it just be IBS and a reaction to the pasta / garlic bread fattyness. I'm 44 with a reasonably healthy diet (I loosely follow a low carb WOE when I can be bothered and I know my tummy feels so much better on this if I stick to it).

Any ideas?

rosie1959 Sat 13-May-17 08:29:04

I had gallstones now thankfully removed
The pain I felt was worse than childbirth
But gall bladder is on right hand side and this is where the pain was

RubySparks Sat 13-May-17 08:37:07

Maybe coeliac? GP should test for this before diagnosing IBS.

Kaylasmum49 Sat 13-May-17 12:10:38

I've had ibs for over 20 years and do have episodes like you described. Some days I can eat whatever I want and have no issues but then other times I can have a really bad attack. Greasy foods or heavy meals can trigger an attack and I feel quite tender for the rest of the day. I also have bad wind afterwards. I get discomfort under my left ribs too. Really does sound like ibs.

FluffyTowers Sat 13-May-17 12:13:16

I've just been diagnosed with gallstones, pain is under my right boob and in the same spot on my back if that helps.

Eyerolling Sat 13-May-17 15:31:00

Thank you all, it is pointing more to IBS by the sounds of it, not sure if there's anything I can do about it except try and eat non greasy and plain foods.

VictoriaH7 Sun 14-May-17 20:22:56

Hi hoping for Somme advice please. Since being about the age of 6yrs (now 40) I've suffers with random pain under my rib cage. It starts as an ache and progresses into cramp like pain. It some times lasts a day but has lasted 2 weeks on and off. I can't eat for fear of pain, it doesn't caused much need to rush to the toilet but do feel full of wind. Cant seen to find the trigger however fatty foods, coffee and alcohol seem to not help. I have had 2 bouts of being rushed to A&E both times on morphine for the pain. As of yet I've had no diagnosis. Could this be Gallstones? Thanks for any advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now