Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Vitamin D

(10 Posts)
Chimichangaz Thu 11-May-17 22:33:31

I've got ulcerative colitis (had for about 25 years - I'm 51) and a couple of years ago my consultant told me I was deficient in vitamin D. He told me to take 25mcg daily. However the tablets I've bought are 25ug and I can't work out if they're the correct dose.

Can anyone help?
TIA

FeedMeAndTellMeImPretty Thu 11-May-17 22:39:10

Just googled and ug is a microgram so the same as mcg

FeedMeAndTellMeImPretty Thu 11-May-17 22:40:01

Screenshot

Spam88 Thu 11-May-17 22:44:05

Yeah, ug and mcg are both just ways of writing microgram, so that's the correct dose smile

Pleasemrstweedie Fri 12-May-17 13:36:11

Except that vitamin D is fat soluble, so you need softgels not tablets and if you have UC, it's highly likely that your levels are low enough to need a proper dose.

A start would be to find out what your result was and then check the protocol for your area, which should be online.

MollyHuaCha Fri 12-May-17 14:36:11

I'm interested... what's the difference between soft gels and tablets? (I been taking tablets for a year and they've restored my previously low level to near normal).

Bebraveagain Fri 12-May-17 16:37:19

25ug is a maintenance dose. Its vety unlikely to resolve a deficiency. You'd need 3 times that amount and maybe more.

Chimichangaz Sat 13-May-17 07:16:10

Thanks all for messages. Got my next appt soon so will ask more about this.

PossumInAPearTree Sat 13-May-17 11:05:47

I'm not sure how iu compares to mcg but Dd takes 3000iu a day.

PossumInAPearTree Sat 13-May-17 11:06:37

Oh and she has a spray now which is meant to be better absorbed. Not sure if that's right but that's what the woman in Holland and Baraet said.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now