Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Gallstones ..help low fat recipe ideas

(11 Posts)
Andicott1 Thu 11-May-17 20:49:31

Had a scan which confirms I have gallstones,waiting to have my gallbladder removed now eating a very low fat diet and getting very bored of what I'm eating...any ideas please!!!

MissBax Fri 12-May-17 17:05:17

Fruit, veg, soups, pasta, salads, rice, grains etc smile

NoDramasPlease Fri 12-May-17 17:14:39

I'm getting mine out on Tuesday and have been on a very low fat diet for a very long time. Afraid I have no exciting ideas as it is very boring. Mainly cereal, soups, fish or chicken and vegetables and lots of fruit.I tend to use a lot of garlic/chilli/ginger for flavour. I have little jelly's or an ice pole if I fancy a treat. Rock n roll. On the plus side it does stave off attacks. I reckon I'll be scared to eat fat again even after my op but I'm dreaming of decadent chocolate cake, it's been years.

milkjetmum Fri 12-May-17 17:26:39

Have also been on low fat diet since Nov...

My favourites are: lentil and sweet potato curry, turkey teriyaki with veggie stir-fry and noodles (use that pan spray stuff and sweet chilli stir-fry sauce).

Some normal food is ok eg roast chicken, new potatoes and broccoli for dinner here tonight, obviously breast meat only, no skin, gravy granules made as they come no added pan scraping etc)

Also like low fat bolognase (5% mince, cooked and drained, lots of tinned tomatoes)

Treat for me are haribo eating a lot of this marshmallows and skinny lattes. Also hit chocolate made with skimmed milk and Cadbury drinking chocolate is very low fat mainly sugar and buying naice fruit like finest kiwis, strawberries etc that I wouldn't usually splash out on.

Found a nice silken tofu dip recipe which is only 3% fat in the river cottage toddler recipe book! Nice on chicken salads.

I eat a lot of prawns now (with lemon and salad)

Awaiting another scan next Friday, I've got no stones or at least none they can see but still get the pain if I eat anything more than about 3% fat sad

milkjetmum Fri 12-May-17 17:30:09

Ooh sorbet and meringue too but I ate loads of that in early days and bored of it now.

Generally I have found the 'cheap' versions of packet foods like gravy granules, stuffing mix are the lowest fat. Get used to reading the labels, if it's more than 3g fat per 100g I avoid unless it will be diluted in other ingredients eg the 5% mince is ok as it's 50-50 with tomato and the that's just a few tablespoons on pasta

Andicott1 Fri 12-May-17 18:05:27

I'm being very careful and trying to keep under , 3g fat per 100g, getting a little bored or chicken,fish, rice and ratatouille combinations. I seem to be compensating the lack of fat for sugar ( marshmallows,jelly beans are my biggest downfall,) so am conscious I need to reign this in and try to not give in to the sugar cravings.

I know I have a wait ahead before surgery and even then petrified of eating fat again risking the chance of that excruciating pain x

JollyBobs Fri 12-May-17 18:20:46

Hi OP, I am also one of the gallstone chosen few!

Buy all your meat from the butchers. Supermarket meat is full of shite and I've found the meat good quality and it doesn't set me off. In that respect I've been eating all of the usual- spaghetti bol, curry, shep pie.

I find eggs, cheese and full fat milk are the devils bum crack and I can't even be in the same room as them (slight exaggeration).

I've lost over 2 stone and am
Classed as underweight now, I've been trying to keep the weight of by eating carbs- noodles, pasta, potatoes.

Stay away from McDonald's (I learned the hard way...)

How long until your consultation?

Totally feeling your pain (literally). It's the worst thing, I'd give birth 5 times over before I have another attack sad

Oncandystripedlegs Fri 12-May-17 21:52:10

I found a Rosemary Conelly recipe book in the charity shop . She came up with the diet when she had gallstones so some good ideas in there . Maybe look on Amazon for a second hand copy .

Eyerolling Sat 13-May-17 08:26:50

I've just started a thread about Gallstones as I'm beginning to wonder If I have them, where and what the pain is like. Do you have lots of burping / gas too? Can someone describe the symptoms please?

milkjetmum Sat 13-May-17 09:51:13

Classic symptom is pain under right side of ribs, sometimes radiating to the back or shoulder. The pain is extremely intense, think labour pains, I don't think you could ignore it!

In the build up to my first attack with hindsight I had been having frequent episodes of nausea and bloating was ttc so felt happy about those

Now if I eat anything with fat in it the pain and nausea starts up within about 20mins and the rest of the day is a write off huddled in bed on codeine

Eyerolling Sat 13-May-17 09:56:50

Ah ok, thanks, I get left sided pain, wind and discomfort more so. Perhaps its general indigestion or GERD with me, I always feel like ive pulled a muscle, its worse when I breathe in and out heavily.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now