Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Migraines relief - meds make me worse

(11 Posts)
PassiveAggressiveLunchbox Thu 11-May-17 19:57:16

I'm on day two of a migraine headache. I can function as i need to, but thank god the children are now in bed. I am wiped out but not tired. Gp has prescribed two migraine reliever meds (spray and tablet, can't think of the names) and beta blockers as a preventative but none agreed with me. Excedrin which the pharmacist suggested takes the edge off but only for a couple of hours. I can deal with the nausea and auras tend to be separate to the headache so also manageable but does anyone find anything else work? Dark room makes little difference but lying down does help. Reading isn't great but I'm ok listening to something (so back to my audio book). Last headache lasted 3 days so not looking forward to another day of this sad

CharlieB161 Fri 19-May-17 22:53:24

I have terrible, very frequent migraines. I take sumatriptan which is amazing! It takes up to 2 hours to kick in, but then usually knocked migraine on head for around 8 hours. If migraine comes back, another sumatriptan works again. I am also now taking amytriptaline daily as a migraine preventative. I'm still getting the migraines, but they seem to be less severe and less frequent ( I tried proprananol - beta blocker, before the amytriptaline, but it made my sleep bad and I felt colaco and got bad anxiety with it), ask your ho for sumatriptan smile

CharlieB161 Fri 19-May-17 22:54:34

Sorry, I mean I felt 'cold' and ask your 'GP'

Clara66 Sat 20-May-17 16:28:37

My daughter had success with Maxalt Melt (presciption) after trying the meds mentioned by CharlieB. X

CarrieErbag Sat 20-May-17 16:34:16

I've recently started taking 1000mg of aspirin if I get one, which does help a bit.
Sumatriptan does nothing for me.
Also have recently been recommended Co enzyme Q10 as a preventative measure. Only just started taking it though so jury is still out.

SofiaAmes Sat 20-May-17 16:35:25

Ask your gp to refer you to a neurologist.

Harvestwidow Sat 20-May-17 16:45:44

I take zolmatriptan for mine, they are by far the best I've had and I think I've everything that's so far been mentioned

PassiveAggressiveLunchbox Sat 20-May-17 18:07:18

Thanks for the replies, I didn't realise there had been any. Headache lasted a full week and was then replaced by sinus pain do that was a fun 10 days. I'll go back to my gp with some of your suggestions, thanks. I'm allergic to codine and the triptans I've tried so far have had the same effects (nausea, dizziness, feeling spaced). I'm reluctant to go to a neurologist, they don't feel bad enough, iyswim. I started taking magnesium last week so I'll give that a bit longer to work too.

Thanks everyone, some food for thought.

JungleInTheRumble Sun 21-May-17 10:49:02

Seconding sumatriptan. I also find sucking on an ice lolly gives some instantaneous respite - not ideal if your migraine lasts a week though.

FellOutOfBed2wice Sun 21-May-17 11:29:41

Place marking. Sumatriptan and aspirin generally work for me but yet to find a preventative that works.

LiDLrichardsPistachioSack Sun 21-May-17 11:31:39

I've been taking magnesium (transdermal spray) for a couple of years now and I swear my migraines are a third as bad as they used to be. Anecdotal I know but I haven't changed anything else!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now