Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Should I ask GP again about menopause?

(11 Posts)
Okite Thu 11-May-17 19:02:01

I'm early 40s, periods have been erratic for last 2 years and absent completely for 3 months so far. Previously was regular as clockwork. I asked the gp about it a year ago, they did a blood test and said hormone levels were fine, not really interested further.
I'm aware that the recommendation now is for immediate hrt if you are in perimenopause before age 45. At what point should I go back to the GP and try again? I thought maybe they'd take more notice now my period's stopped for a few months

Starstarbright599 Thu 11-May-17 20:02:40

I'd take a pregnancy test and then go to gp.

Okite Thu 11-May-17 21:06:43

I'm very definitely not pregnant.

Starstarbright599 Thu 11-May-17 22:48:13

Then gp grin

Starstarbright599 Thu 11-May-17 22:48:45

Has your thyroid been tested too?

Okite Fri 12-May-17 07:12:51

Has your thyroid been tested too?

Yes - doctor thinks it's fine, I think it's definitely not. Am waiting on an endocrinologist appointment at the moment. I'm getting bored of having to argue with gps over things! 😄

SSYMONDS Sun 14-May-17 00:01:49

Okite - I Am in almost identical situation- 41, almost constant bleeding for a couple of years and now totally random and hardly ever. I'm seeing gp on thurs and going to ask to see someone. I am certain I'm peri and think I should be looking at HRT too.

Okite Sun 14-May-17 15:09:44

Oh, let me know how you get on ssymonds

IvorHughJarrs Sun 14-May-17 15:11:47

The blood tests for menopause are so unreliable I am not sure if they are worth doing. The levels change quite quickly apparently so they may say normal at one time and abnormal half an hour later

Okite Sun 14-May-17 17:11:26

I've heard they're really unreliable hughJarrs it's so frustrating that the gps totally rely on the blood test and ignore the other symptoms and history. I asked one once what other explanation they had for the suddenly erratic/missing periods other than menopause (have had many other tests and no other gynae issues). No answer. And yet they still won't consider its menopause!

SSYMONDS Mon 15-May-17 13:08:58

Will do okite

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now