Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone had a hysterectomy before having children?

(9 Posts)
raeray Wed 10-May-17 18:20:22

Just wondering if anyone in same boat as me?
I had uterine cancer last year and needed a total hysterectomy.
I always imagined I'd have kids but now can't have them as I thought.
Anyone in my situation or similar. Did you end up having children through adoption/surrogacy? If not have you found peace for want of a better word about it?
Just hoping to find someone else to be able to chat things through really.
Thanks

triedandrusted Wed 10-May-17 18:26:39

I just wanted to say how sorry I am that you've had to go through this. Am sure someone will be along who has experienced something similar. The only thing I would say is that if you do want children, there are plenty of ways of building a family without having to grow them in your own womb.

flowers

raeray Wed 10-May-17 21:43:07

Thank you for your kind reply flowers

raeray Thu 11-May-17 22:23:03

I'll do a bump every now and then (hope that's ok) just in case it catches someone's eye who has shared similar experience to me.
Thanks in advance

Mysillydog Fri 12-May-17 08:13:57

Hi
I have no experience of this, but I think if you post on the adoption forum then there will be many people going for adoption with infertility and some who have had hysterectomies.

For more specific cancer support I can recommend the Shine Facebook group for younger adults age 20-50. They also run local meet ups and so you can chat face to face with others facing infertility from cancer. Of course there's also the Lacies on the MN cancer support thread. Sending you best wishes xx

Mysillydog Fri 12-May-17 08:13:58

Hi
I have no experience of this, but I think if you post on the adoption forum then there will be many people going for adoption with infertility and some who have had hysterectomies.

For more specific cancer support I can recommend the Shine Facebook group for younger adults age 20-50. They also run local meet ups and so you can chat face to face with others facing infertility from cancer. Of course there's also the Lacies on the MN cancer support thread. Sending you best wishes xx

Mysillydog Fri 12-May-17 08:14:41

No idea why that posted twice!

redannie118 Fri 12-May-17 18:55:18

Hi op my sister had uterine cancer and had a total hysterectomy at 32 years old.She had PCOS previous to this and several miscarriages so in some ways the hysterectomy was a relief. She is 5 years down the line now and still childless (by choice) she has had lots of ups and downs and has found councillng very helpful. I don't know if that helps at all but will be happy to answer any more questions you may have smile

raeray Thu 18-May-17 22:41:12

Thank you for your replies.
I also had pcos (I was told this is what put me at higher risk for the uterine cancer).
I go through phases of feeling ok about it and then sometimes out of nowhere it all seems just a very sad situation...
I guess that's just to be expected but when everyone around me is having babies it is hard and a bit alienating at times.

Thanks again for your replies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now