Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Thrush or no thrush?

(8 Posts)
PookieDo Wed 10-May-17 11:32:24

I don't want to take the tablet if this is just irritation, because you aren't supposed to take it too often, right? Also sorry if TMI...

On Friday I gave my fanjo undercarriage a spruce up and I was short of time so I was rushing and used a shower gel I don't usually use. So probably OTT scraping with the razor and a fragrant shower gel.

A couple of hours later I had sex. At the point of starting sex with a condom I instantly knew I felt really super dry, even though I had had an orgasm already and this is unusual.

After sex my wee burned a bit.
Since then I have been super irritated, dry and itchy. Canesten cream does give relief but there is no discharge I usually get with thrush in fact the opposite it's so dry, like the Sahara! So I am quite confused. And not looking forward to having this chat with the pharmacist.
Is there a good product for dryness? Does thrush cause dryness? Wee is no longer burning or anything

troodiedoo Wed 10-May-17 11:37:06

Try getting as much live yogurt on a tampon as you can and leaving it in for a couple of hours.

Take the tablet if no better in 24 hours. When did you last take a tablet? You have to say over 6 months to get tablet from pharmacy.

troodiedoo Wed 10-May-17 11:38:12

Drink plenty water and try to go knicker free for a while if possible.

PookieDo Wed 10-May-17 11:38:48

It was probably around 6 months or so, I can't remember. I know you have to tell them it was more than 6 months but I don't have the thrush discharge so puts me off taking it if it isn't what I need.

Will try yoghurt....

troodiedoo Wed 10-May-17 11:45:08

I get thrush fairly often if I'm run down/tired and eating too much sugary junk. I've only ever had the discharge once many years ago.

Hope it clears up for you, I know the agony all too well! Currently have it on my nipples which makes a fun change. confused

terrylene Wed 10-May-17 16:52:15

You can try actigel multigyn or flora plus for not-quite-thrush. It balances the pH and stings like buggery for a short while I used to use this with the canesten tablet.

If you have dryness problems then there are things like Replens (a moisturiser that sticks to the cell walls) which is next to the condom section in Boots (along with other menopausal vaginal things)

If you are of a certain age, and it is a continuing problem, then you can get vaginal oestrogens from the doctor that can help.

For washing when things are bad, things like Dermol are great (it is used for skin conditions and is sold OTC at the pharmacy - about 12 quid but worth it). Otherwise plain water.

You will probably get told to wear cotton knickers too. I don't know how anyone gets to adulthood without knowing this hmm They always tell you it, like it is something new.

terrylene Wed 10-May-17 16:54:20

Oh - and use a lube - not a 'hot' or zingy or stawberry one - one with as little additive as possible. Sylk is ok (from chemist, made with kiwi confused ) and Yes (order online)

MissBax Wed 10-May-17 18:30:37

The burning wee and dryness doesn't sound like thrush (but could be early signs). Sounds like it could be a touch of cystitis. If you were dry anyway it may have just rubbed on your urethra. Plenty of fluids!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: