Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Outpatients

(10 Posts)
BollardDodger Mon 08-May-17 17:05:36

Apologies in advance, especially to MNHQ for bringing this up again, but I know there will be a couple of genuinely interested posters. I will not be entering into any arguments...
Had my outpatients appointment today, and:
Nobody asked me about my GP details
They gave me a sick note for until the end of June
My next outpatients appointment will be arranged by the outpatients department

claritytobeclear Wed 10-May-17 08:53:44

So you needn't have worried. Obviously was a standard letter which does not reflect the actual real working practice. Funny how things can turn out, isn't it?

Have you had any thoughts regarding how you would deal with this type of thing in the future?

claritytobeclear Wed 10-May-17 08:57:28

My own bug bear is asking for family medical history regarding conditions that have not shown to be conclusively hereditary. I would rather each case was considered individually. There is also confidentiality issues there. Family members do not have to share and may not share truthfully.

BollardDodger Wed 10-May-17 09:07:25

Have you had any thoughts regarding how you would deal with this type of thing in the future?
Yes. I would proceed in the same manner as I have proceeded here. It seems to be if the original referral doesn't come from the GP, and the GP is not going to be involved in aftercare, then there is no need for the GP to be involved if I don't want the GP involved.

BollardDodger Wed 10-May-17 09:15:40

Family members do not have to share and may not share truthfully.
People should be asked to state their consent for sharing preferences, and the NHS should be able to be relied upon to respect it. Would save a lot of issues.

claritytobeclear Wed 10-May-17 09:38:31

I think though, things as they actually (not as some perceive them to stand) are ok.

You are allowed to say 'I don't know,' regarding family medical history and unless you have their medical files in front of you, you don't really. People can be terrible gossips and details get passed on inaccurately or for motives that are not entirely clear cut.

And you were not asked for any further details.

I think have some automony over your own information is absolutely necessary. I remember watching a film about a woman who had fibromyalgia. One consultant wrote that they suspected 'hysteria' which could have caused no end of problems regarding her seeking treatment.

BollardDodger Wed 10-May-17 09:50:44

I think have some automony over your own information is absolutely necessary.
I think that's what my issue is. I am protecting my autonomy. I am making a fuss because nobody has asked if its okay to pass the information on. If I am asked I would probably say 'yes'. Therefore the only way I can be in control is by telling them 'no'.

BollardDodger Wed 10-May-17 09:52:10

Therefore the only way I can be in control is by telling them 'no'.
Or to prevent questioning, just say 'I am not registered at a GP'.

claritytobeclear Wed 10-May-17 10:02:30

I understand the worry that over rights to personal automony over our own bodies and in turn confidentiality over medical information is being eroded.

There probably are not many situations where you wouldn't want to share information. However just the act of asking for consent, I think, does prevent the mindset where thoughtless speculations (as with speculating on hysteria in the fibromyalgia case I mentioned) from supposed professionals, are considered appropriate.

MissBax Wed 10-May-17 10:39:28

I must have missed the last post so no idea what this is about!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now