Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can you produce colostrum when you are definitely NOT pregnant?

(7 Posts)
ohsomany Sat 29-Apr-17 21:50:48

I have always been able to squeeze a bit of colostrum from both breasts (just a drop or two) and I am 100% not pregnant. I breastfeed both my children for 4 years each but haven't BF youngest for over 3 years now. Anyone know why I am able to still do this and has anyone else experienced this?
I am not on any birth control either.

LavenderRainbows Sat 29-Apr-17 22:28:15

I had my last baby almost 20 years ago and up until a few years ago I could squeeze some out. I guess if you keep squeezing it will keep coming!

Fairylea Sat 29-Apr-17 22:52:44

Get your prolactin levels checked (blood test). Mine was very high and I had to take medication to reduce it.

Somedaymama Sun 30-Apr-17 12:28:32

Get your thyroid checked too. This happened to me when I was hypothyroid.

delilahbucket Sun 30-Apr-17 13:07:28

Yes, I do. I've had my thyroid and prolactin checked and everything was deemed normal. Whatever that means.

NomDePlumeReloaded Sun 30-Apr-17 13:18:29

I can too. Last baby almost 15yrs ago. No endocrine issues.

RupertsMum2 Sun 30-Apr-17 20:09:30

Yes, I could for years after feeding ds1 and ds2. All my bloods were fine. Interestingly Ds3 was in PICU for a week and despite expressing from the word go I was never able to properly establish breast feeding and everything completely dried up after that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now