Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Copper IUD - Blood in discharge

(4 Posts)
user1479497126 Sat 29-Apr-17 10:27:58

Hi all,

I've had my Copper IUD since The start of the year, and I'll be honest. Right now I hate it.

First I had a very long bleed at the beginning two weeks roughly.

Then my periods have been very far apart, between 6-8 weeks almost, which has made me fear I was pregnant both times.

The other symptom I'm having at the moment still is discharge. I've especially had different types of discharge which include pink discharge, snot coloured discharge and ever so slightly blood streaked discharge. Throughout each cycle it's a mixture of these three. They're all very light, and I've never needed a pad or anything but it's sending my anxiety through the roof every time it happens.

I always think that the IUD is masking something more serious as I never usually have any issues with contraception and it's just been stressful from the beginning. I'm constantly checking every time I go to the toilet.

I have had a check up down there about 2/3 weeks ago and my GP couldn't see any issues. But every time it happens it just messes with my head.

Does anyone have anything similar? I feel like it's been so long that the symptoms won't go away now.

Tinkerclare Sat 29-Apr-17 11:37:25

Well they say you may get irregular bleeding for the first six months, but mine didn't settle at all and was still getting mid-cycle bleeding (proper fresh blood) 18 months in. Like you it freaked me out, so in the end I pulled it out myself as I got so fed up with it. Bleeding stopped. Then I found a whole load of studies which show lots of women and have ongoing irregular bleeding beyond six months. So it's quite normal, but still anxiety inducing.

pigeondujour Sat 29-Apr-17 12:40:27

I get all kinds of things with mine - had it nearly the five years now. It does my head in but it's always been fine at every check up. It's so frustrating that we have to put up with this shit isn't it.

user1479497126 Sat 29-Apr-17 12:46:25

I'm giving it the six months to wait. I keep telling myself that these symptoms only started when I had the coil put in. I'm just tired of the unnecessary stress from it which is probably the reason I'm having such long cycles.

Everything is just a vicious circle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now