Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Peak flow has dropped and I'm away in the lakes with 2 dcs

(9 Posts)
TheDonald Sat 29-Apr-17 08:41:59

Last summer I had a horrible chest infection that led to an asthma flare up that meant I could hardly walk for 2 weeks (usually run 3 x a week) so I'm a bit jumpy about any changes to my peak flow.

I've had a head cold all week but today I can feel it on my chest. My peak flow is normally 430 but today before inhalers it's 350. Last summer it went to 190 (should have gone to hospital according to the nurse)

It's not drastically low today but I'm in the lakes on my own with dd 15 and d foster child 11 with plans to do canoeing, walking and bike riding.

I got a telling off by the asthma nurse last year for not seeking help soon enough. I don't want to get to the middle of windermere and have something go wrong.

How much should I let this ruin our weekend? Do I need to go and get some prednisone this morning or can I just carry on and take some blue inhaler?

bumblingmum Sat 29-Apr-17 08:43:33

Could you maybe find a pharmacist for some advice?

daisygirlmac Sat 29-Apr-17 08:46:04

There's a primary care at Kendal if that helps, you ring for an appointment and they'll see you

LizTaylorsFabulousTurban Sat 29-Apr-17 08:48:12

As a feLlowes asthmatic I start to worry if my PF is less than 75% of normal with no explanation or if I generally feel breathless/tight. However the fact you have posted this tells me you are worried about it. I woukd take your preventative and your reliever, wait 15 minutes and take your PF again. Ifor this was me I would also double up on my preventative until I could see my asthma nurse/GP. Did you get an asthma action plan the last time you went to your asthma clinic? If you feel that it isn't improving I would get to an OOH or A&E, asthma is not something you be blaze about and can deteriorate very quickly. I'm hope you feel better soon (and enjoy your break!).

LizTaylorsFabulousTurban Sat 29-Apr-17 08:49:25

Gah or something in English (fat fingers and predictive text are not a good combination).

TheDonald Sat 29-Apr-17 08:55:10

Yes I am worried but only really because last summer was so scary and because I feel awful cancelling our more extreme activities this weekend. Particularly for dfc who has been really excited about canoeing!

I have only had asthma for about 3 years and last summer was the first time it had been more than a bit of a cough at the end of a run. I'm only just learning how to manage it.

I will take some blue and measure it again but if it gets worse I'll go to kendal. We're going to booths in kendal this morning anyway!

Thanks all.

LizTaylorsFabulousTurban Sat 29-Apr-17 18:59:17

How are you doing OP? Did your PF recover?

TheDonald Sat 29-Apr-17 19:32:16

Hi liz. Thanks for asking. Yes it's come back up a bit. It went up to 390 after I took my blue inhaler. I have been out for a walk round sizergh castle today and I feel a lot better.

Thanks for your help.

user1471453601 Sat 29-Apr-17 19:40:52

Do you have a spacer? If so, hospital doctor told me that ten blasts of reliever into it, is the equivalent of a nebulizer.

I'd also agree with doubling up on your preventative inhaler.

Good luck, I know how worrying this can be
. Though 350 would be an amazing result for me, I know that everyone has their own "normal"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now