Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Should my daughter have started her periods by now??

(16 Posts)
sarahmum27 Fri 28-Apr-17 17:31:07

Hi all,

My daughter was 11 in December. She started puberty very early, developing pubic hair just before her 8th birthday.
She has breasts and full pubic hair and has just started having to shave her armpits (although only a small amount.)

I was 8 when I began growing breast buds and had full pubic hair by the time I was 10, so she's going pretty much in line with how I developed.

It just feels like she's been going through puberty so long now that she should have started her periods. I was 11 when I got my first period.

Any advice appreciated smile

Toomuchocolate Fri 28-Apr-17 17:34:08

I wouldn't worry as 11 is still quite young even if she did start puberty young.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Fri 28-Apr-17 17:35:21

11 is so young, I'm sure it will happen in time. Probably sooner rather than later given the other signs of puberty you have described.

I certainly wouldn't worry at this stage.

PaperdollCartoon Fri 28-Apr-17 17:36:43

11 is still really young! No need to worry for a good few years yet, especially if everything else is coming in

JustSpeakSense Fri 28-Apr-17 17:45:46

11 is very young, I think the average age is 13.

twocockers Fri 28-Apr-17 17:48:21

My dd got pubic hair at the age of 9 but still no periods (and us still completely flat chested) and she's 13. Don't think they have to follow quickly

Adelie0404 Fri 28-Apr-17 18:15:48

No don't worry. My DD started just 1 month before her 13th birthday.
I started 1 month before my 14th. Everyone develops differently so you have nowt to be concerned about. My DD just has early breast development and armpit hair (so not bothered about it, doesn't shave) and pubes. I thought she might be a bit later, but never mind. She is old enough that she totally took in her stride. The older the better!

sarahmum27 Fri 28-Apr-17 19:26:40

Thanks for all your replies.
She doesn't want to start her period yet, so I'm pleased she hasn't. I suppose I just assumed that she would be an early starter due to early onset puberty, and then I got concerned that maybe there was a hormonal problem.

Good to know that there are others who had pubic hair etc long before starting. Hopefully my daughter will make it to secondary school and be at that stage where she actually wants to start, before she eventually does.

Rainatnight Fri 28-Apr-17 19:32:47

I had breast buds and tiny hairs for at least two years before my period started.

sarahmum27 Fri 28-Apr-17 20:45:06

@Rainatnight but my daughter has near on fully developed breasts and full pubic hair and has done so since she was 9. She started developing at 7 years old, so this has been going on for over 4 years now

Giddyaunt18 Fri 28-Apr-17 21:53:42

My DD had some armpit hair at 10 but didn't get breast until 13/14 and started periods at 16.

Giddyaunt18 Fri 28-Apr-17 21:54:19

Sorry not armpit hair, pubic hair.

Handbaghag Fri 28-Apr-17 21:55:48

The range for starting is 8-16. I'd say she's blessed for it to be delayed as much as possible. I would only seek medical advice after 16.

Teddy6767 Fri 28-Apr-17 22:00:17

I developed boobs and started my periods when I was 9. My friend also had developed boobs at 9 but didn't start her periods until she was 13

donajimena Fri 28-Apr-17 22:03:28

If it helps ... at 14 I had no pubic hair no breasts and started my periods. I was confused

Ekphrasis Sat 29-Apr-17 15:10:02

I started getting breasts around 14, didn't start till I was around 16. I think it's linked to weight / body fat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now