Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Advice on having a cold and pregnant

(10 Posts)
Savannah2017 Wed 26-Apr-17 19:21:05

Hi,
Currrently suffering with a cold, 23 weeks pregnant. A bit concerned with not having my flu jab.. doctors can't fit me in for another 2 weeks :/, just wondering if anyone can suggest anything I can take, natural remedies etc, I have over come the worst of my symptoms but still suffering from a sore throat, achiness, nasal congestion(to the point I can't breath when lying down) I've been off work for a few days to rest but will be returning tomorrow so need something to give me a bit of energy, any advice is much appreciated! smile

Iamastonished Wed 26-Apr-17 19:22:18

Colds can make you feel rotten, but unless you have other medical issues you just need to ride it out. No over the counter remedies will cure a cold.

MrsGsnow18 Wed 26-Apr-17 19:23:02

I sympathise! I had a really bad cold around 28 weeks. I found drinking hot water with honey and slices of orange and lemon really helped soothe my throat. It surprised me how nice it tastes!
Hope you feel better soon!

Savannah2017 Wed 26-Apr-17 19:25:09

Thank you! I've tried the honey and lemon, but I'll give the orange and lemon with water a try. This must be the 3rd cold I've had since being pregnant, immune system must be really low sad

Aquamarine1029 Thu 27-Apr-17 01:31:17

Peppermint tea, plenty of water and a good diet. The cold will pass.

MountainDweller Thu 27-Apr-17 01:52:05

I think you can use a nasal decongestant spray but check with your pharmacist. If not you might get some relief from a saline spray.

Delilah21D00LoT Fri 28-Apr-17 21:52:27

A flu jab would have no effect on your cold anyway. You can take paracetamol, but you just have to put up with it.

TheLegendOfBeans Fri 28-Apr-17 21:55:04

I had a total bitch of a cold last week. Took a Lemsip. Felt immediately better. Then realised Lemsip is banned in pregnancy.

All's well but basically all decongestants are banned for us pregnant meaning the only cure is plenty water, rest and paracetamol x

talulahbelle Fri 28-Apr-17 22:04:45

Nasal strips (breath right) can really help.

Savannah2017 Fri 28-Apr-17 22:18:24

Thank you all! Feeling much better today, plenty of rest and fluids helped, continued to take my multivitamins as well smile much appreciated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now