Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Piles help! (TMI)

(23 Posts)
HeatherShimmer Wed 26-Apr-17 16:17:17

I have had an external pile about the size of a pea that is bleeding (though not excessively) for about 2 weeks following a bout of constipation.
I'm doing all the self help stuff, loads of water, fibre etc, anusol hasn't touched it.
Do I need to see a doctor or if I wait will it go on its own?
Any advice appreciated!

newtlover Wed 26-Apr-17 16:18:34

I think you might be able to get a steroid cream OTC

HeatherShimmer Wed 26-Apr-17 16:46:25

Thank you, will that sort it do you think?

HeatherShimmer Wed 26-Apr-17 17:59:13

Bump

newtlover Wed 26-Apr-17 18:20:07

should do
keep on with the self help stuff though

HeatherShimmer Wed 26-Apr-17 20:07:10

Thanks Newt. I'll give that a try.

Funnyface1 Wed 26-Apr-17 22:04:37

Have baths, ice it, drink prune juice to stay soft and get a steroid ointment, it will help loads. If you see GP ask for uniroid.

eddiemairswife Wed 26-Apr-17 22:13:28

I have had piles for 51 years on Saturday following the birth of my 3rd child. When she got them after her 1st baby I said it served her right. She was not amused!!

HeatherShimmer Wed 26-Apr-17 22:24:33

Thanks funnyface. I think I might try and see a GP.
Eddie, 51 years shock Are they constantly sore/itchy or do they come and go?

eddiemairswife Wed 26-Apr-17 22:33:11

They come if I am slightly constipated. Not often.

traceysn3 Thu 27-Apr-17 06:46:22

i had a pile after having each of my children! suffered for ages with my 1st 2 as embarrased! but when had my 3rd i asked my auntie and she told me to put alot of vasoline down there! helped so much especially when needed to go for a no2! and wasnt stinging all day after going! wish i asked her when i 1st had them! but still doing all the usual stuff and having lots of baths! hope this helps x

HeatherShimmer Thu 27-Apr-17 10:27:00

Thanks Tracey, I'll try Vaseline, I hadn't thought of that. Have you got rid of them now?
I can't get a GP appointment until next week so I'll try all these suggestions in the meantime.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Thu 27-Apr-17 10:38:24

Hi Heather, go to the Chemist and get some Witch Hazel.
Dab this on the clean pile, it should begin to shrink back.
Also, remember to put your feet up, when you sit down.

worriedme04 Thu 27-Apr-17 10:57:02

The only thing that seemed to get rid of mine was using a suppository and taking a stool softener for a few weeks/months at a time-every time I went to the loo it annoyed it further! hence the stool softener
Before I did these two things I had two piles which were really sore and had thrombosed and stuck around for at least six weeks.

HeatherShimmer Thu 27-Apr-17 11:28:49

Thanks Sugarpie. More good advice, I'll get some witch hazel later. I'm hoping I'll notice an improvement by next week so I can cancel my appointment.

HeatherShimmer Thu 27-Apr-17 11:30:14

Did you ever see a GP Worried?
Can you buy a stool softener over the counter, and if so do you know the name?

Funnyface1 Thu 27-Apr-17 11:44:33

You can get movicol/laxido over the counter.

traceysn3 Thu 27-Apr-17 12:01:06

yes they are all gone now and havnt come back! hopefully yours settle down soon! you have got a few things to try! not nice to have are theyx

HeatherShimmer Thu 27-Apr-17 12:12:04

Thank you! Yes Vaseline and witch hazel are on my shopping list. Do you think I need movicol too? I have fybogel which is keeping me regular!
Thanks everyone for all your help.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Thu 27-Apr-17 12:22:38

Heather, I believe there is a stool softener called Dulcolax, I have seen on a television advert.
Don't use the Vaseline with the Witch Hazel. The Witch Hazel will dry and shrink the pile. Just use the Vaseline before you have to go, then wash area, and reapply Witch a Hazel.

traceysn3 Thu 27-Apr-17 12:28:24

i never had to use anything else, so couldnt recommend anything x

Bobbybobbins Thu 27-Apr-17 13:29:02

I went to the pharmacist with my post birth ones and they gave me some very good cream. I went to the GP when they didn't clear up as quickly as I thought they would and they told me to carry on with the cream!

worriedme04 Thu 27-Apr-17 16:24:01

I went to the GP yes,prescribed Scheriproct(cream and Suppositories) and Laxido(stool softener)
Bloody awful at the time-I only suffer ever so slightly now and again and just using over the counter creams(like Anusol) work fine now.-Did not work when the buggers were massive however!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now