Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Why does my hand hurt so much?

(3 Posts)
stonecircle Wed 26-Apr-17 06:37:28

A few days ago I woke up and the back of my hand was stiff and painful. I assumed I must have lain on it awkwardly in my sleep and it would wear off.

However, it's got worse each day and the pain has woken me up several times through the night. The centre of the pain is on the back of my hand at the point where the bones from my first and middle fingers meet - an inch or two above my wrist. If I press there it's agony.

Any idea what could be causing this? There's no bruising or swelling. No pain in my wrist so assume it's not carpal tunnel which I had once before. I'm finding it too painful to grip, twist or lift a cup of tea with that hand. Fortunately it's my left and I'm right handed.

Any suggestions anyone?

NavyandWhite Wed 26-Apr-17 09:32:47

I have this right now. I guessed it's part of my fibromyalgia list of pain but who knows. I've also wondered if it's arthritis too. I have that in my feet and the pain is similar.

How old are you? I noticed a lot more pain as I entered the perimenopause - I'm 49 so well in to it.

Is it constant?

stonecircle Wed 26-Apr-17 11:39:22

Hi Navy. I'm 58. I've been told I probably have arthritis in my hip. Also have had constant pain in my right foot for ages. I've just googled fibromyalgia and I do have a lot of the symptoms. I'm incredibly stiff, have sleep issues, lots of headaches and ibs

The back of my hand is now visibly swollen and the pain is constant. I think if it doesn't ease off in the next day or two I'll have to see a dr.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now