Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

CBT for chronic pain?

(10 Posts)
Mehfruittea Tue 25-Apr-17 21:33:02

Anyone have experience of this through NHS? I'm due to have my first appointment and I'm hoping it helps.

Not sure how though. I feel like I'm as positive as I can be, while wading knee deep in crap.

What are your experiences? How has it helped you? Or not? TIA

Mehfruittea Tue 25-Apr-17 23:23:11

Bump for those night owls who, like me, don't sleep well due to pain.

Mehfruittea Wed 26-Apr-17 20:35:48

Bump anyone?

painting2014 Wed 26-Apr-17 21:06:27

Hi,

I have almost finished an NHS online CBT course.

Meanwhile, I recently had an appointment at Guy's (fibromyalgia clinic - one off thing where you get to see a rheumatologist, psychologist and physiotherapist).

The psychologist there felt that actually ACT is more useful for people with chronic health issues.

She recommended The Happiness Trap by Russ Harris and Living Beyond Your Pain by Dahl and Lundengrun.

I have started reading The Happiness Trap but haven't got very far yet.

Mehfruittea Wed 26-Apr-17 21:40:30

Thanks so much. I have Fibro and Elhers Danlos so dealing with multiple causes for chronic pain.

Will give those books a try and see how this appointment goes.

Mrmoonmrmoon Wed 26-Apr-17 21:42:08

Cbt can really help with chronic pain. Good luck!

Iamaslummymummy Wed 26-Apr-17 21:44:25

I recommend the nhs stanmore 3 week inpatient rehab programme for eds and fibro. I've just finished it and it has given me loads of strategies. You have an ot, physio and physchologist

weaselwords Wed 26-Apr-17 21:48:28

CBT can help you with the thoughts that make you push yourself hard and ignore signals your body is sending you. ACT can make you be a whole lot more compassionate towards yourself and less critical. More evidence for CBT but in my experience both are good.

LineysRun Wed 26-Apr-17 21:51:13

Yes, it helped a lot with arthritic pain.

Mehfruittea Thu 27-Apr-17 21:54:59

Thanks for your responses. It's really interesting Weasel, as I assumed CBT would about trying to except and ignore the pain so that I can stop moaning and carry on with life. This is what I already try and do and you've kind of said I need to do the opposite, to recognise when to stop and be kind to myself. I definitely don't do any of that.

I've had my first screening session and they are now looking to place me into a group therapy session over six weeks. Then after that, they can offer me a mindful course course as well. So it sounds pretty good and I feel positive!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now