Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Restless legs syndrome

(11 Posts)
Eggsbutnobacon Tue 25-Apr-17 19:33:55

I know there was a thread about this a while ago and I was surprised how many sufferers there were.
I have put up with it for years and used to dread bed time.

After finally going to the GP I was prescribed pramipexole ( 4 x 0.088mg tabs each evening). These seemed to relieve my symptoms, although I was concerned that on the previous thread it was mentioned they may stop working after a while.

Last week when I tried to get my latest prescription filled the pharmacist informed me they were having problems with the suppliers of this drug and I would have to ask the GP to prescribe something different.
Coincidentally I was due to visit the USA on a business trip and ended up buying Hylands Restful Legs tablets, a homeopathic remedy and magnilife relaxing leg cream.

Is anyone else having problems getting pramipexole and also do you think the homeopathic remedy will be any good ( containing arsenicum album and zincum metallicum). ?
I really am starting to dread the evenings again, rolling around on the settee and putting my legs up against the back of it. My DH is fed up with it too. He wants to try suffering from it!

Eggsbutnobacon Tue 25-Apr-17 21:16:29

Anybody please?

esk1mo Wed 26-Apr-17 00:10:20

dont havwany info in relation to that, but i have RLS and the only thing that helps is Magnesium Oil spray by BetterYou.

esk1mo Wed 26-Apr-17 00:10:33

*have any

Bunnyfuller Wed 26-Apr-17 00:12:02

I use magnesium supplements - stop the restless legs dead and have a lovely nights sleep too

Eggsbutnobacon Wed 26-Apr-17 06:19:11

Thank you to you both.
Off to Holland and Barrett today to source above.

Dozer Wed 26-Apr-17 06:21:02

Homeopathy is woo and not evidenced to work.

WeAreEternal Wed 26-Apr-17 06:46:20

Not necessarily Dozer.
DHs RLS is caused by a vitimins deficiency, he suffered for years, now he just takes a supliment every day and his RLS is gone.

He has a friend who suffered with RLS too, he tried all the drugs but nothing stopped it completely, he tried a homeopathic remedy and he's not suffered with it for years.

It entirely depends what caused the RLS, it can have many different causes which is why some treatments work for some and not others.

Eggsbutnobacon Wed 26-Apr-17 07:12:05

Interesting about the magnesium. I was admitted to hospital a few months ago as an emergency and blood tests showed I was deficient in magnesium. Had to be put on a magnesium drip and then take some supplements for a week but nobody mentioned this could cause restless legs.

esk1mo Wed 26-Apr-17 12:50:50

Oh absolutely. Many people take magnesium supplements to help. I didnt like them so chose the spray (based on amazon reviews). I spray on my calves, thighs and arms before bed each night and it truly helps. It might tingle or itch a little the first few times but that goes away really soon.

Eggsbutnobacon Thu 27-Apr-17 11:26:15

So have bought the magnesium tablets ( they are massive) and also the spray. You are right, it did feel a bit uncomfortable and sort of sticky but will persevere.
Anything to get a decent nights sleep.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now