Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Acne

(4 Posts)
Karanka Mon 24-Apr-17 19:34:21

I'm a 37 year old man, haven't had any skin problems in the past, and I've just had an outbreak of what I can only describe as acne. I have painful red spots which have just suddenly broken out over my face (mainly upper lip, but also the 'beard' area). Shaving is now excruciating and my face feels like it's on fire.

I had some acne as a teen, but it was no big deal and cleared up no bother. Any ideas what might have caused this?

Kaybush Mon 24-Apr-17 22:50:42

Hi Karanka,

This is probably a question for a doctor rather than Mumsnet, so I think you should make an appointment.

If it does turn out to be mature acne however, the best treatment is a topical antibiotic, in the form of a cream containing antibiotics that are absorbed into the skin.

My teenage son had a horrible outbreak of spots when he first started secondary school - looked like he'd been in an accident. Within a few days of using the cream the spots had all dried up and he was clear for months.

Now, whenever he gets an outbreak, the cream gets rid of them really quickly.

I'd avoid any pills - they're all really strong (and well dodgy). Good luck!

mycavitiesareempty Mon 24-Apr-17 23:04:41

Is it on one side of your face or both sides?

QueenLaPizza Tue 25-Apr-17 10:33:21

It might not be acne - especially as it is in the prime shaving areas.

You could have infected pores caused from bacteria getting into the shaving abrasions. It could be in-growing hairs. Or maybe you are right and it is acne.

I'd definitely go to a doctor to get it checked out though. And maybe stop shaving in the meantime smile

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now