Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Broken tibia and finished

(7 Posts)
She45 Sun 23-Apr-17 19:49:36

Hi, hoping people may be able to advise on recovery time for me. Broke my tibia and fibula earlier in the week. Had plates put in (both spiral fractures) and a backslab plaster cast. Still in hospital with leg elevated and been told no weight bearing for up to 6 weeks. In couple of weeks I will have clips/sutures out and a boot thing put on - to support it and be ready for weight bearing a few weeks later.
I can't use the crutches I've been given due to rubbish upper body strength (neck and shoulder problems) so have been given a sort of high cage frame thing with good arm supports - still can only currently manage a few steps with it - totally exhausting.
Going home to "live downstairs " sometime this week. Dreading how long I'm going to take to get up and going . My joints are all shocking (am only 48). Kids are 11 and 14 so can help a bit but hubby works away so I'm going to find things hard unless Someone tells me they had similar and after a couple of weeks things improved FAST! Difficult to believe as currently bed ridden

She45 Sun 23-Apr-17 19:51:13

Ps that's meant to say fibula not finished - predictive text - and can't figure how to change it !

kingfisherblue33 Sun 23-Apr-17 19:52:35

Sorry, have no advice, but you poor thing! Lots of sympathy. flowers

bran Sun 23-Apr-17 19:52:46

Can you bend your knee and put weight on it? Perhaps you could rent one of those scooter things that you kneel on with your bad leg and scoot with your good leg? At least you would be able to get to the important places like the fridge and the loo.

She45 Sun 23-Apr-17 22:37:00

No I can't bend my broken leg at all - got a lot of swelling in upper leg now as part result of my accident / surgery/bed rest. I'd need a scooter with a seat and I'm so clumsy I'm likely to do the other leg in ...

Goldfishjane Sun 23-Apr-17 22:48:42

Oh I'm really sorry to hear this
I havent had the same injury but I wanted to sympathise
With other broken bones and bruising etc, I found that after I could bear weight I made improvements faster than I thought
But severe bruising took longer to go than I thought

Def don't do anything that risks injury, I know it's awful being immobile but it's so not worth risking further injury with scooters or whatever.

All good wishes to you flowers

She45 Tue 25-Apr-17 11:58:24

Thank you for the encouraging words. That makes me feel better - the hopping around certainly makes me worry about further injury so yes I need to make sure i don't over do it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now