Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Moon cups

(27 Posts)
ohcraptoday Sat 22-Apr-17 20:29:03

Bought one 2 weeks ago and just started period today (2 weeks early).

So put it in. Is it supposed to be slightly uncomfortable?

Also feel like I need to pass wind.

Worried that it'll leak.

I've never use tampons as twice I tried it hurt so much I had to take it out within 5 mins and the 2nd time I was so nervous it'd hurt again I couldn't even get it in!.

Want to be able to use something else other than pads.

RhinestoneCowgirl Sat 22-Apr-17 20:31:14

Mine took a bit of getting used to, but now it's fine. Have had one about 5 yrs.

RhinestoneCowgirl Sat 22-Apr-17 20:32:14

If it's a bit uncomfortable, it may not be in right position? I can't really feel it when it's in.

Justmuddlingalong Sat 22-Apr-17 20:33:33

Have you cut the stalk down?

LornaD40 Sat 22-Apr-17 20:34:18

I used it for a couple of periods and it was fine, then in the third it leaked at work and it really put me off. I have fairly light periods so must have had it in wrong!

Having read about tampons drying out your bits, I think I should try it again.

claraschu Sat 22-Apr-17 20:37:04

I think you might not have put it in far enough, or you might not have trimmed enough off the stalk. You shouldn't be able to feel it at all.

treaclesoda Sat 22-Apr-17 20:38:18

I can't feel it when it is in, but when I first tried it, I hadn't trimmed enough off the end of it and it felt uncomfortable then. Once I cut the end off it, it was great.

ohcraptoday Sat 22-Apr-17 21:52:49

I've taken it out now as I didn't fancy being uncomfortable overnight.

I think I took too much off 🤔

ohcraptoday Sat 22-Apr-17 22:12:02

Or maybe I pushed it too far? I did sort of struggle getting it out blush

MumOfTwoMasterOfNone Sat 22-Apr-17 22:22:14

I have a femmecup and I'm getting more used to it now after around 4 periods but I'm really glad I've tried it so stick with it. So much better than tampons!

MumOfTwoMasterOfNone Sat 22-Apr-17 22:24:20

Do you twist it once it's in?

Chasingsquirrels Sat 22-Apr-17 22:28:49

I don't even feel mine once it's in, unless its not quite right - when I'll take it out and reposition it.

SlB09 Sat 22-Apr-17 22:30:57

I tried, like you it was uncomfortable but tampons were aswell. I do have endometriosis and a tilted uterus though so this may be why

Salubrious Sat 22-Apr-17 22:36:03

Cut the stalk and twist to get it in -I use one and I have the coil fitted.

Nikitasol Sat 22-Apr-17 22:40:11

I've been using them for about 15 years..I love them. I'm on my third one now in that time. It took I'd say 3 periods to get used to it making sure it was in right and stem trimmed a bit. Saved soooo much money on not buying tampons. Also nice to only empty 3 or 4times a day rather than every 3 hours or so with tampon. No worry about toxic shock either. And better for the planet. Just give it some time to get used to it. I don't notice mine at all now

picklemepopcorn Sat 22-Apr-17 22:41:03

When it's in, I sort of shuffle it around a bit to make sure it is seated correctly. If it has stayed flat inside, it will leak. It needs to pop open once in. The thing is, we are all different shapes so it fits us all slightly differently.

Ohyesiam Sat 22-Apr-17 22:44:12

It needs to sit directly on your cervix, and of you twist it once it's in place, it's less likely to leak. You can't cut to much o ff.

QueenRefusenik Sat 22-Apr-17 22:50:41

It shouldn't be uncomfortable at all, even eithout trimming the stalk (I've never bothered - more to grip when pulling out!). It might take a little while to get the hang of inserting though. Make sure it's 'unfolded', then twisting it slightly or giving it a slight tug once it's in seems to help settle it. It also shouldn't leak if it's in right!

Love mine, wouldn't be without it!

Albadross Sat 22-Apr-17 22:53:46

Also remember you need to. Real the suction to remove - it's meant to be slightly hard to pull out if you don't because that's how it stays put smile

Maxwellthecat Sat 22-Apr-17 22:54:44

When I first got mine I remember thinking that there was no way I could wear it all the time, I felt like I had a book inside me and was walking like John Wayne! I got used to it really quick though and now I don't feel it at all. Have you put it in far enough?

Gwlondon Sun 23-Apr-17 08:06:25

I have just started to use one a couple of days ago- I can't feel it when it's in properly.
I think it's amazing and I am so happy I have started using it! I had one in the cupboard for years unused.
I think perserve because I have used tampons for +20 years and it is still a new technique I have had to learn. It probably needs to go higher than you imagine.

ohcraptoday Sun 23-Apr-17 14:45:04

I had emptied it (and cleaned) once I got home. Was out from 7:30-2pm and probably won't do it again till before I go to bed.

It didn't leak till I tried to get it out then it was a little leak. I can still feel it but I'd rather that as I struggled to get it out - I have a very high and tilted cervix.

picklemepopcorn Sun 23-Apr-17 18:42:08

You get better at it with practice.

ohcraptoday Mon 24-Apr-17 21:41:30

I'm finding it much easier now, and it's only day 2 properly.

Love it, won't go back to pads now!!

15 years of periods and only now I've found out about these things. I feel cheated 😂

picklemepopcorn Mon 24-Apr-17 22:19:26

Yay! Little tip... Should you choose to boil wash it at any point, don't let it boil dry. blush
In fact, don't bother boiling it, it really isn't necessary!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now