Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Night Terrors in Adults

(1 Post)
BlueNeighbourhood Sat 22-Apr-17 15:49:47

I'm not sure if this is the correct topic so apologies in advance.

I'm a 33 year old woman and basically suffer from night terrors, or what I believe to be them. They come in phases, so I'll have 3/4 in one week and then nothing for a few weeks and they will start again.

The way it feels, it's a massive noise (imagine yawning and the sound you make and it constant in your ears getting louder and louder) and that you're paralysed in your bed as if you're awake and can feel just fear. You're sweating and think something is coming to get you/is there and you know what it is, my mind registers what's going on and I try to wake up and eventually it happens. A couple of times I've woke up at the other side of my bed after dreaming something is pulling me away from it, pulling the covers from me.

There's always one strange aspect to it - when I have these 'terrors' either my arms or maybe leg is outside of my covers. If my full body is covered by a cover it never happens so I have to sleep like that every night and hope I don't move my arms or legs outside during the night. I know that sounds crazy but it seems to be the only link to it.

Does anyone else have any advice as to what I can do to stop these? I'm driving myself crazy when I have them and I've read it's not normal for adults to get these and feel absolutely embarrassed to go to my doctor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now