Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

In so much pain

(15 Posts)
RainbowsAndUnicorns23 Fri 21-Apr-17 23:43:26

Hi,

This is my first post here, just wanted to ask, am i ok taking painkillers alongside amoxicillin?

I have an infection in my tooth and went to the dentist today who prescribed this, however, i forgot to ask if i am ok to take codeine, paracetamol and ibuprofen for the pain?

I just want to sleep but i can't because of the throbbing pain sad

Thank you in advance!

pnutter Fri 21-Apr-17 23:47:03

Yes..antibiotics plus painkillers is fine

pnutter Fri 21-Apr-17 23:47:30

Not all of them obvs!!

IvorHughJarrs Fri 21-Apr-17 23:49:15

You actually are ok with all of those together as long as all at the recommended doses

cushioncovers Fri 21-Apr-17 23:49:24

Yes you can.

acornsandnuts Fri 21-Apr-17 23:51:09

Actually I'm sure you can take those painkillers together, or at least in rolling intervals. I took codiene and ibuprofen at two hour intervals which did help keep pain bearable.

notangelinajolie Fri 21-Apr-17 23:51:12

Yes ok to take all three. But I'd space them out a bit so that pain relief is maintained.

RainbowsAndUnicorns23 Fri 21-Apr-17 23:51:59

Thank you for the replies, will only take recommended doses. I just want to get some sleep tonight sad

Hoping these antibiotics get to work soon!

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Fri 21-Apr-17 23:52:25

You can absolutely take paracetamol, ibuprofen and codeine at the same time. Take all of them together initially, then start to stagger them. Paracetamol apparently increases the efficacy of codeine, so you might want to pair those. Remember ibuprofen is only 3 doses a day, so spread them out and take with food (if you can)

B19M Fri 21-Apr-17 23:53:05

Yes absolutely fine to take with antibiotics!
If you've got codeine phosphate, paracetamol and ibuprofen-rotate regularly through the 3, remembering to eat beforehand. Definitely rotate analgesia, rather than taking all together. It works better.

You can take max 2400mg of ibuprofen over 24hour period , this is safe for short term use ie up to 3 days; so 600mg every 6hrs or 400mg every 4hrs.

Also Max 4g of paracetamol over 24 hr period -so 2x 500mg tabs every 6hrs.

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Fri 21-Apr-17 23:54:38

8mg codeine is nothing, BTW. I believe max otc dose is around 24mg codeine, but be aware that this is a space cadet dose of you're not used to it.

B19M Fri 21-Apr-17 23:54:50

Am a dentist btw and those pain relief regimes I've advised are current guidelines ; medical history permitting that is.

RainbowsAndUnicorns23 Sat 22-Apr-17 00:04:05

Again thank you all for the replies, have just taken paracetamol and codeine and its started to ease!

B19M Do you know at all how long it wil take for the amoxicillin help? I have been prescibed 500mg to take 3X daily for 5 days.

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Sat 22-Apr-17 00:07:33

I was just thinking that it's almost midnight, so initial dose of everything as a one off, then stagger from waking.

RainbowsAndUnicorns23 Sat 22-Apr-17 00:18:38

PrincessOfPower

Yes i think that's a good idea and am going to take the ibuprofen before going to bed, although how long I will stay in bed for I've no idea, last night with pain i couldn't lie down as this made it so much worse sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now