Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Feelings of grit in eye

(8 Posts)
PosiePootlePerkins Fri 21-Apr-17 21:22:23

After some advice, I think I'll have to call the doctor in the morning as I'm in a fair bit of discomfort. Just wondered if anyone else had experience of this.
We have come back from a few days holiday in Spain, it was very windy and we were right by the beach, so the sand was blowing everywhere. Since yesterday I have had the feeling that some grit is caught under my eyelid, every time I blink it feels horrible. I'm fairly sure there's nothing there (have rinsed it thoroughly) and am worried my eye is scratched. My eye is weeping a bit and looks red, I'm trying not to rub it but aagh! Any hints/tips/advice gratefully received.
Thanks.

dontsufferfools Fri 21-Apr-17 21:23:22

Conjunctivitis starts like this....

Thewinedidit Fri 21-Apr-17 21:25:21

You might have a foreign body under your eyelid that needs removed. Or it could be bit dry / scratched, or even a wee infection. Best advice us to go to a local opticians, they're better placed than gp usually to offer advice.

PosiePootlePerkins Fri 21-Apr-17 21:29:38

Ok thanks, didn't think of opticians, doh! We have a local one in the village, I'll pop in tomorrow, thanks for the replies.

Sunshineandlaughter Fri 21-Apr-17 22:06:50

I had that with a bacterial eye infection

Jetcatblackcat Sat 22-Apr-17 21:56:11

I've also just had this, optician diagnosed blepharitis, he suggested just hot water soaked cotton wool on eyes, massage then cold water cotton wool. I tried that for a couple of days but didn't feel it was getting any better, so I popped into the pharmacy and got some AB eye drops - huge improvement!

Hope yours settle down soon as well wine

Alexandra87 Sat 22-Apr-17 22:46:53

Sounds like conjunctivitis to me

PosiePootlePerkins Sun 23-Apr-17 09:52:18

Hi again and thanks for all the advice, it turned out to be a tiny bit of plastic lodged in my eyeshock Had to go to A&E to get it removed, was very sore but feeling much better this morning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now