Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Eyesight (Might need Varifocals)

(9 Posts)
SlaaartyBaaardFaaast Fri 21-Apr-17 18:13:42

This is my first post after lurking for a little while.

This year, I will be turning 40 and I have always worn glasses for long-sightedness since I was 2.5 years old. Recently I have noticed that I am straining more, particularly with reading or anything small and close up (E.g. checking the kids hair). My eyesight is already over 9.75+ in both eyes and I have a mild astigmatism. I already pay a small fortune for 1 pair of glasses due to the weight of my lenses. I choose a basic frame and have my lenses thinned out as much as possible. I don't normally qualify for the Specsavers BOGOF due to cost of my lenses and would have to stump up even more. Its never worth it for me so I only ever buy 1 pair.

Tomorrow I have an eye test and I think I am going to need new glasses. I am worried about the cost as mine already cost me nigh on £300 for the 1 pair. Please can someone reassure me regarding prices or Varifocals?

Many thanks.

redannie118 Fri 21-Apr-17 19:52:32

Hi I am very short sighted -7 in both eyes and like yourself have astigmatism. I needed complex varifocals 2 weeks after my 40th bday. My lenses with specsavers would have cost 350 pounds so I took my prescription to one of these big glasses warehouse type places. I ended up with lovely frames and lenses all in for 200. Please shop around, specsavers cosy a fortune!!

SlaaartyBaaardFaaast Fri 21-Apr-17 21:53:22

Thanks Redannie, someone else said just that to me today.

Do they still take account of pupil position, etc?

Thanks for your encouragement x

gleam Fri 21-Apr-17 22:12:40

Have you tried an independent optician rather than one of the chains?

whereareyousleep Fri 21-Apr-17 22:19:14

Asda do free thinner lenses in their glasses so this could be an option for you.

redannie118 Fri 21-Apr-17 23:06:22

Yes,the place I went to fitted my glasses in the same way specsavers do

Thinkingblonde Fri 21-Apr-17 23:20:49

Varifocals are great...I'm very shortsighted with astigmatism and also glaucoma.

I got two pairs of variofocals on a bogof offer at a local independent optician last week, the main pair have the thinnest lenses they offered. I opted for the other pair to be sunglasses.Couldnt have thinner lenses in that pair but I am not bothered as they'll be my secondary
Cost 230.00 for two pairs.
My last pair cost 340. 00 for just one pair.

SlaaartyBaaardFaaast Mon 24-Apr-17 17:25:41

Wow thanks everyone! Very grateful for the replies and your insight. I actually don't need varifocals yet 😊 In fact it turns out that I was right in the my prescriptions have change up by 1/4 to 1/2 a dioptre per eye. I am on the very cusp of needing reading glasses but its so marginal so not worth the extra glasses just yet. Optician thinks the next appointment in 2 years time will be the one. I have opted for a new pair of glasses and actually found a gorgeous frame 😎 The total for the 1 pair with the thin and lights came to £139! 😁 I feel very good about that, however I will definitely look in Asda and the like before my next appointment.

Thanks ever so much ladies xx

CMOTDibbler Mon 24-Apr-17 19:33:51

I was going to say Asda too - I have ridiculously complex lenses and was dreading having varifocals added to that (previous glasses had cost over £300 when the price of frames and single vision lens was £75). I went to Asda mostly as they had prescription sunglasses in a style I wanted. £99 later and I had two pairs of glasses I loved (and the optician was excellent with my weird eyes). Will go back soon as its 2 years on and I've been so happy with them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now