Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Severe tonsillitis - How long to recover?

(13 Posts)
HeadingToBed Fri 21-Apr-17 09:35:49

I've had really bad tonsillitis this week. My gp said it was the worst throat infection she'd seen in a while.

I feel better then I did, I was vomiting with my temp being 40C, but still feel like I've been run over by a bus.

I'm due back to work on Monday so am hoping to be better by then.

Has anyone had this recently and know how long it lasts for?

I'm on day 5 of being ill and day 3 of antibiotics.

My throat and tonsils are still full of pus sad

BarchesterFlowers Fri 21-Apr-17 09:43:46

You will be wiped for weeks. I would say two weeks at home. It took me a good month to feel normal when I had it following a bout of flu a few years back.

TheCunkOfPhilomena Fri 21-Apr-17 10:29:25

Oh no, we're in the same boat Heading. I've just got back from the doctor who seemed shocked when he looked at my throat as he said there's a lot of pus.

He said to gargle with aspirin (as well as take the penicillin), have you tried that?

I still have a high temp and I'm taking paracetamol and ibuprofen for that. My voice has gone and the doctor told me not to try and talk at all which is interesting as I'm a single mum.

I'm resting between drop offs and pick ups, can you do the same? The antibiotics should be making a difference by now, if you're not feeling any different then maybe see the doctor again tomorrow?

HeadingToBed Fri 21-Apr-17 10:59:42

Barchester a month?? How awful having this after flu as well. I had flu 4 years ago and was bedridden for 10 days, this bout of tonsillitis almost made me feel as ill as I did with the flu.

Cunk I've been gargling salty water and am on penicillin too. My neck glands are so swollen and painful.

I'm lucky that my mum is now helping me with the kids as dh has gone away with work today.

The antibiotics have definitely made a difference as I no longer feel like I'm dying! Still sweating loads etc.

I can't go back to work when I still have pus in my throat, can I?

BarchesterFlowers Fri 21-Apr-17 11:20:23

Heading, I am not good at taking my own advice as I had 10 hours of fun last month with pneumonia, but if you rest you get better quicker.

It is a few years since I had tonsillitis, I am rarely ill but when I am I do it well grin. I was done in for weeks afterwards, it was Christmas and DH was away with work. Just me and DD 200 miles away from any family on our own - 'twas grim.

May09Bump Fri 21-Apr-17 11:25:39

It took me out for 3 days with fever of 41. Had throat spray and 10 days of antibiotics. It seems to have affected my chest - as this is still rumbling on three weeks later and a raw feeling. I was like the walking dead for about another week, after the initial 3 days in bed - I just had to get on with it and take care of the kids.

WowserBowser Fri 21-Apr-17 11:30:51

It's fucking awful. I had it a few weeks ago and it was completely debilitating.

I have had my tonsils out so all the pus was in the holes. I felt fluey and could barely swallow.

I alternated ibuprofen (which makes my stomach bad so i try to avoid it normally) and paracetemol. And had penicillin.

It took about 3/4 days of the penicillin for me to feel like i was on the mend. I have had a few sore throats since and shit myself that it is starting again. But i only felt truly retched for about 8 days.

You have my full sympathy. Hope you feel better soon flowers

TheCunkOfPhilomena Fri 21-Apr-17 14:14:37

No, don't go to work until you're better! This is just bloody horrible and your body needs to rest in order to fight it.

Really hope you start feeling more human asap!

I just want to stay in bed.

Fairylea Fri 21-Apr-17 14:17:13

Oh god sorry but it will take you ages.

blush

I had it over Christmas and I'm still feeling exhausted now despite my throat being okay now etc. In the end I had 3 lots of antibiotics back to back and was at my worst for about 3-4 weeks. The doctor said I had it so badly she was seriously concerned it was either glandular fever or quinsy.

Take painkillers and make sure you get lots of rest. It really is horrendous, people don't realise how awful it can be.

HeadingToBed Fri 21-Apr-17 15:45:23

Thank you all.

I've had my first bath since tues (gross!) so feeling slightly more human now.

I'm alternating ibruprofen and paracetamol too.

My neck is so swollen from my glands, so painful!

To top it off, I now have an upset stomach from the antibiotics angry

Fairylea did you get a positive result for the glandular fever? I had it as a teen and it would explain you're still exhausted.

OrlandoTheCat Fri 21-Apr-17 15:46:34

I had it at the end of January. I started to feel unwell on a Saturday, and didn't feel fully better for about 9/10 days

OliviaBenson Fri 21-Apr-17 17:51:46

You can take ibuprofen and paracetamol at the same time- they are different types of painkillers so are ok to take. I'm just recovering from it, day 10 and starting to feel human!

Fairylea Fri 21-Apr-17 18:07:31

Glad you are feeling a bit more human after your bath.

My bloods came back negative for glandular fever but I do still feel very wiped out by it, I can't remember the last time I ever felt so poorly!

Hope you feel better soon x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now