Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Psychotic PMT, short menstrual cycle and heavy periods - help!

(8 Posts)
smicha Thu 20-Apr-17 09:41:54

I have always had relatively short menstrual cycles and very heavy periods, since the age of 9, but after the birth of my second child 18 months ago the cycle has shortened to 20 days and the period is heavier than ever. Coupled with this, I now suffer from almost psychotic PMT. The anger is uncontrollable. I believe that my kids are the worst behaved in the world and I can't cope with their behaviour any longer. And I pretty much hate my husband. This month I got so angry I kicked the family out for the day and curled up in bed, sobbing, convinced that the only way forward was to somehow leave my husband!!!! This is not how I feel for the rest of the month, we have a lovely family, I adore the three of them and we get on really well. And my kids do have their moments, but overall they are good kids and not the monsters I believe them to be when I'm in the throes of this.

HELP! This morning I have been googling and came across PMDD. I think I suffer from this. I don't want to take medication though, not even the pill as that sends me even more doolally (I think I sense a theme here with me and hormones!!)

Can anyone suggest any coping mechanisms or things that have helped them? I suspect I'm going to have to see a GP about this before I destroy my family.

In case it's relevant, I'm still breastfeeding my 18 month old.

Sunshineandlaughter Thu 20-Apr-17 18:27:06

B vitamins?

DayGlo Thu 20-Apr-17 18:29:52

High dose evening primrose oil might help a bit?

To be honest, though, what worked for me (PMDD sufferer) was Prozac.

MichaelSheensNextDW Thu 20-Apr-17 19:21:48

Hypothyroid and anaemia?

smicha Thu 20-Apr-17 19:59:48

Thanks. I'll look into vitamins and evening primrose. MichaelSheensNextDW are you suggesting those might be possible causes for this?

RandomMess Thu 20-Apr-17 20:06:04

It's probably too soon to decide your family is complete, if it were I'd recommend womb ablation to get rid of the heavy periods, can't advise about the PMDD though - it improve a bit when you stop bf though due to the hormonal changes.

flowers

hellomarshmallow Thu 20-Apr-17 20:11:16

I have pmdd and I started getting worse when breastfeeding twin toddlers too.

I can't take the pill either but have had incredible results with citalopram for 1 week per month. I tried all the natural, herbal methods; nothing worked. I didn't want to take drugs but i realised my children were suffering with my mood and behaviour too and I couldn't trust myself to behave well and retain any patience. It was a godsend.

Took a few days to get rid of side effects, nothing major. I take a low dose. Biggest side effect was reduced sexual sensations, but only during those days.

hellomarshmallow Thu 20-Apr-17 20:14:12

I've found telling family and my partner when i feel unwell helps a lot (forewarned!!) I also avoid planning any high-stress things/days out and make time for walks alone where possible. I ask family to babysit too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now