Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

thinking about getting rid of boobs

(5 Posts)
worrisum Thu 20-Apr-17 09:12:20

Name change.
I have big boobs (36H). I've breastfed my children and i have been so grateful to them for some of the most fulfilling times of my life, but now I want to get rid of them. Sister has had Breast cancer, but I have been thinking about this for some time.I don't want the prospect of Brreast cancer looming over me,I just want rid.
Anyone know if doctors do bilateral mastectomies in people such as me?
Hubby would support me in my decision. I long to have to not wear bras anymore. Never enjoyed the fact my boobs were big.

wineoclockthanks Thu 20-Apr-17 12:12:41

I think it will depend on whether you have the genes that increase your risk enough to justify the treatment. I had a bilateral mastectomy as I have cancer in one boob and although I don't have the genes, the risk of developing it in the other one was deemed high enough. I did have to have a psych evaluation to ensure I was aware of the decision.

If you don't have the genes, I think you might struggle. You might find a surgeon that would do it privately but I would think it would be seen as a 'cosmetic' decision rather than a medical one.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Isadora2007 Thu 20-Apr-17 12:20:45

Did your sister have the BRCA mutation to cause her BC? If not then you aren't really at a significant risk of BC so won't get a surgeon to agree to a radical operation on a whim.
I'm facing a double mastectomy for a genuine high risk of BC and I'm a little perturbed you think it's an easy option to select just so you don't need to wear a bra.

BusterGonad Thu 20-Apr-17 17:13:49

It sounds extreme to me but it's not my body or my boobs.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Thu 20-Apr-17 17:20:32

It's a huge operation to consider and the surgery carries some serious risks. There will also be a long painful recovery time and you will have some scarring.
If you don't have a significant cancer risk, then you would be looking at going privately for a breast reduction.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now