Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Burnt my hand roasting spuds - is this healing ok? (pic)

(22 Posts)
Notonyournellly Wed 19-Apr-17 21:14:26

I stupidly managed to splash boiling hot cooking oil (ow ow ow) on my hand when roasting spuds on Sunday. I ran it under cold water as soon as I'd done it, and smothered it in aloe vera gel later that evening. Haven't bothered get it seen to as it seems to be healing ok, but the burn's got darker and darker and has gone brownish purple as the week's gone on and there's a few bumpy bits and some broken skin too. It stings but it's not painful any more. Does that aound/looknormal? Dr Google isn't much help. It didn't come up in blisters or anything like that but the dark colour is a bit alarming.

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 19-Apr-17 21:22:30

I think you need to seek medical attention from A & E or your GP.

missyB1 Wed 19-Apr-17 21:23:55

I would pop to see the practice nurse at the surgery tomorrow.

blueskyinmarch Wed 19-Apr-17 21:25:46

It doesn't look like it is weeping or any of it is an open wound. I think it will heal in time and there is no need to seek medical advice. What would they do? Probably nothing.

emmaluggs Wed 19-Apr-17 21:26:32

I'd say that was pretty normal had a burn like that before the brown bits eventually get dryer and dryer and start to flake like a scab....

Kiwi32 Wed 19-Apr-17 21:26:37

That's what a scald does on me-goes darker before the dead layer of skin comes off. If there's no swelling/pain/oozing etc I would say it's healing normally. Disclaimer though-I am not a medical doctor!!

If you're worried a pharmacy would probably be able to have a look, or the nurse at your GP practice.

Hope the spuds were worth it! (Of course they were)

LettuceMash Wed 19-Apr-17 21:27:16

Looks OK to me, like its healing. I wouldn't go to A and E now.

dudsville Wed 19-Apr-17 21:27:54

I agree with pps who suggest the brown is just the burned skin.

ohgoshIdontknow Wed 19-Apr-17 21:35:55

Looks fine to me, I wouldn't worry

Idbemonica1 Wed 19-Apr-17 21:43:19

Looks fine to me too, you did a good job with the cold water.
Will possibly start to crack a little as it dries out due to where it is. Just try to keep it clean and dry.

MelbourneClown03 Wed 19-Apr-17 21:47:44

Did exactly the same thing 8 years ago. Still have the scar on my hand from it but it healed eventually, without medical intervention.

SoloDance Wed 19-Apr-17 21:50:20

Looks fine to me.

Notonyournellly Wed 19-Apr-17 21:51:15

Mostly reassuring replies, that's good. I forgot pharmacies could look at injuries for you, I can check with them tomorrow.

The spuds were the best I've cooked in a long time grin crispy on the outside and all fluffy inside.

KatyBerry Wed 19-Apr-17 21:51:48

How can we answer this if you haven't even told us whether your guests were allowed more than two spuds each or not?

(I've had hot fat burns just like that and they go away. Absolutely no need for doctors or nurses - though check with a pharmacist if you really want a professional opinion)

Notonyournellly Wed 19-Apr-17 22:12:34

Only two each?? There has to be at least 3 per person for the gannets in my family.

tinyterrors Wed 19-Apr-17 22:27:19

The more roast potatoes the better in our house. I think I'd be in front of the firing squad if I did less than four each 😀.

I've done exactly the same when making roasties, splashed hot oil all over my hand and forearm and it looked exactly the same as yours after a couple of days. As pp have said it'll start cracking and coming off over the next few days.

I'd just keep an eye on it for any new redness/swelling, if it's gets more painful or starts weeping then I'd see the GP.

It'll be more sensitive to heat than usual for a few days too.

Sidge Wed 19-Apr-17 22:39:26

Looks ok to me (I'm a practice nurse). It's clean, dry and not infected.

Use some emollient to keep it soft and supple and stop it cracking and splitting - anything rich and creamy, or even oil. BioOil is good, or Vaseline but that's best applied at bedtime!

Aquamarine1029 Thu 20-Apr-17 03:33:56

It looks totally normal for the injury you sustained. No sign of infection or oozing. You poor thing. Burns are awful.

Notonyournellly Thu 20-Apr-17 08:12:54

sidge thankyou that's ever so helpful. I put some cream on last night and it looks a lot less angry this morning.

tiny too right about the potatoes. You're right about it being extra sensitive to heat too. My first shower after I burnt it was not fun.

I look forward to the cracking, peeling skin, love a good peel.

Sidge Thu 20-Apr-17 10:34:13

Try to resist the peeling of cracking skin - more likely to cause infection and scarring. Difficult I know!

viques Thu 20-Apr-17 10:39:42

If you have any lavender oil it is supposed to be good for burn scars, but that is a big area and unfortunately I think you will always have some sort of scarring left.The healing looks good though, no pus or infection.

Notonyournellly Mon 24-Apr-17 14:49:33

Thanks all. I resisted the urge to peel, somehow. New shiny skin is coming through and there's just a small, sore scabby bit left to heal but it looks fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now