Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DD 14 nausea, feeling like gagging all the time

(23 Posts)
Pollyanna9 Wed 19-Apr-17 19:37:28

Hi

I wonder if anyone else's teen has had these symptoms?

She's had this issue for some months now. She feels really nauseous and is only sick on v odd occasions, but she's fighting 'being sick' all the time and can't talk when she feels like this as it makes her gag and then retch.

I read a lot online about people who are on the road to finding out what the problem is/trying different treatments, but I've yet to see anything on someone who's made it through to the end so to speak, found out what it is and know what the right treatment is.

Anybody out there gone on this journey and come out the other end?? I foresee a lot of days off school if this carries on.

d270r0 Wed 19-Apr-17 19:40:50

Hormones? As lots of people get like that when they are pregnant and thats due to hormones. You could try putting her on the pill to regulate them.

MoreCrackThanHarlem Wed 19-Apr-17 19:44:31

My dd had a very similar problem at the same age.
It turned out to be gastritis; stomach acid inflaming stomach lining. It was sorted with a course of Omeprazole.

Pollyanna9 Wed 19-Apr-17 19:45:45

And also she says when she feels hungry and wants to eat that she feels 'physically not able to eat much' - which is not like her, she eats like a horse usually - very slim but she must be growing because she eats more than my 17yo son!

PetalMettle Wed 19-Apr-17 19:46:37

I was going to suggest hormones. That's how I felt when j was pg

musicteacheriz Wed 19-Apr-17 19:46:38

Stomach migraines?

Glitterspy Wed 19-Apr-17 19:50:23

I had this. Anxiety.

Ginorchoc Wed 19-Apr-17 19:52:40

Anxiety sounds possible. Balance, eyesight?

elevenswan Wed 19-Apr-17 19:57:35

Mine was a mix of anxiety, food intolerances and acid reflux. Got beta blockers for the anxiety, prochlorperazine for the nausea and Gaviscon for the acid reflux. And avoid certain foods now. Feel for her, feeling sick all the time is the most miserable horrible thing sad

Pollyanna9 Wed 19-Apr-17 21:27:09

Thanks all. Yes elevenswan feeling sick is the worst - cancer patients reportedly finding nausea worse than severe pain!

She does have anxiety at times (not sure why today, she's off school, she's had a sleepover last night (but couldn't sleep as she felt ill and I had to pick her up at 6am and bring her home) but am reluctant to get her onto meds if it can be avoided at this age.

I wish my doc would put me on beta blockers - I'm on sertraline but it's doing bloomin' nothing at all. Wine still works better!!

RandomMess Wed 19-Apr-17 21:31:29

Was anxiety for me, people thought I had an eating disorder but in reality I just felt whether I ate or not and I suspect my metabolism went through the roof!

nocoolnamesleft Wed 19-Apr-17 22:24:38

Obviously you can't diagnose over the internet. But it does sound rather a lot like gastro-oesophageal reflux disease. Pretty common at that age. Usually a few months of a decent prescription anti acid lets the gullet heal up and the problem go away - if not, then can need looking into more.

user1471449040 Wed 19-Apr-17 22:29:11

pregnancy?

Pollyanna9 Wed 19-Apr-17 22:34:22

I did wonder if it could be GERD.

Pregnancy - bloody well hope not! She's only just started using tampons and has no boyfriend or lad she's sweet on.

NavyandWhite Wed 19-Apr-17 22:46:10

Has she seen the GP?

MarklahMarklah Wed 19-Apr-17 22:53:47

Possibly not the same at all but some years ago I had an undiagnosed thyroid problem. One of the symptoms was a very severe gag reflex. Mornings were worse, and it would take ages to clean my teeth as every time the brush got more than half way back in my mouth I'd be retching. I was seldom sick with it.
I also used to get 'stomach migraines' associated with it, and later full-blown migraines.

Worth getting hormone levels/blood tests done to rule out anything like this, perhaps?

Pollyanna9 Thu 20-Apr-17 00:23:15

Yes, we've not gone drs yet but if it carries on that'll be my next step. Interesting about thyroid.

DangerMouse17 Thu 20-Apr-17 00:26:41

Anaemia does this to me...I would get some bloods done

Pastaagain78 Thu 20-Apr-17 00:32:42

Visit the Drs. I had stomach migraines starting as a teen. If it has been going on several months, get it looked into. Is there a reason she hadn't been to the GP yet? Hope she feels better soon.

Pollyanna9 Thu 20-Apr-17 08:46:18

The only reason of not going to the GP yet is that the symptoms aren't always there and in order to fend off the inevitable 'you haven't had the symptoms very long, come back in 4 weeks if it's still happening' that often happens at my drs!

Pastaagain78 Thu 20-Apr-17 09:26:12

I really feel for you both. Miserable. Hope you get some answers. Good luck!

ifcatscouldtalk Thu 20-Apr-17 09:34:31

I feel for you as nausea can relate to so many things.

My nausea was related to an inner ear problem. Is the nausea related to movement? Is her balance ok?

Other posters suggestions may be more accurate but just reflecting in what caused my nausea.

I hope you get answers soon.

Pollyanna9 Thu 20-Apr-17 09:56:07

No balance problems or earache or recent colds so I'm not thinking ears at the minute. Will need a gp trip soon me thinks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now