Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Tooth in agony

(11 Posts)
justanotheryoungmother Wed 19-Apr-17 11:57:21

Since yesterday, my tooth has been absolute agony when any pressure is applied- I can't eat on it etc.
It's previously had a white filling, and it's a baby tooth with nothing underneath it, so I really don't want it to get taken out. If the pain doesn't subside then I'll call the dentist tomorrow, but I'm 37 weeks pregnant and don't know if they'd be able to do anything to it? Is there safe anaesthetic etc to use whilst pregnant? Has anyone else had this agonising pain and been able to save their tooth?sad

Aquamarine1029 Wed 19-Apr-17 13:07:16

Do NOT wait until tomorrow!! You could have a serious infection which puts your baby at extreme risk. Call your doctor NOW.

HeyRoly Wed 19-Apr-17 13:09:06

Totally agree with aqua. If you're in agony then you have a problem with the tooth and the chances of the pain miraculously disappearing tomorrow are slim to none. Get yourself seen - it's free after all.

justanotheryoungmother Wed 19-Apr-17 13:17:51

Call the doctor or dentist???

HeyRoly Wed 19-Apr-17 13:28:55


thegoodnameshadgone Wed 19-Apr-17 13:35:04

Mine was exactly the same last month. Although I am not currently pregnant. I waited a day and then went the dentist only to be told I had to wait a further week to have my filling replaced. I was in agony for another two days then I had to have an emergency appointment. Phone them now xxx

Aquamarine1029 Wed 19-Apr-17 13:36:29

Call BOTH. But I would call your doctor first to ask about the baby's safety.

HeyRoly Wed 19-Apr-17 14:40:53

I don't think there's any suggestion that the OP's baby is at risk, is there?

LouKout Wed 19-Apr-17 14:45:08

They can take the nerve out and dress it until the baby is born. It wont go away though..if pain goes it will probably be dead and get infected so please get seen.

LouKout Wed 19-Apr-17 14:45:45

I think telling OP her baby is at serious risk is a bit melodramatic.

B19M Wed 19-Apr-17 22:26:43

OP -(I am a dentist)-it is perfectly safe to have local anaesthetic during pregnancy ; prudent to eat before the appointment though.

If your tooth is a deciduous tooth without a permanent successor, you are most likely going to need an extraction-your symptoms sound like apical periodontitis.
It is extremely unlikely that any sort of root treatment will be possible in the retained adult deciduous tooth scenario. Completely different root anatomy situations deciduous v permanent.

It is very safe to have an extraction under local anaesthetic during pregnancy in the situation you describe ( i.e. Unremitting pain etc), so please don't worry.
Just get along to the dentist -don't wait until your face is starting to swell.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: