Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Need some urgent advice.

(10 Posts)
pistachioandhoney Wed 19-Apr-17 08:06:51

A couple of weeks ago I got a sudden onset of insomnia. Normally I get a great nights sleep and it is hard to get me out of bed. I have had some bouts of insomnia in the past but can't remember the last one.

I didn't sleep for 5 nights. In the end I went to the Doc who was reluctant to give me sleeping tablets and instead recommended some things from Boots. I took these for a few nights and they worked a treat. After this I took some Kalms, one a night and had great sleep. However, 2 nights ago the Kalms didn't work and I was awake all night. Again last night I took the sleeping tablet I got from Boots and even though it is apparently quite strong, I got not one minutes sleep. I just can't seem to fall asleep and fight it.

I am at the end of my tether. My children go back to school this morning and I need to drive them. I feel like I am never going to sleep again.

Just to add, before this happened I was not depressed or anxious. In fact, things had never been better. Now though I feel dreadful.

Alidoll Wed 19-Apr-17 08:26:34

Do you have heavy periods? If so, it could be anaemia. Worth asking your GP for a blood test (which will also rule out an infection if the white blood cells are elevated).

Having suffered from insomnia myself (and been awake since 4.20am this morning and not been able to get back to sleep), I feel your pain. It's horrible not being able to sleep. Is your bedroom cool? How old is your mattress? Can you fall asleep easily but wake and can't get back to sleep or is it a case of not being able to switch your brain off? Do you use a laptop / mobile device late at night?

Keep a diary and see if there is anything that triggers the insomnia as sleeping tablets really don't get to the underlying problem which could be medical in nature
Good luck

pistachioandhoney Wed 19-Apr-17 09:12:08

Thanks Alidoll

I have had blood tests and the only thing that came up is that I am peri menopausal. The insomnia started after I had a bit of a panic attack and got myself in a tizzy over what was happening to me. Since then I have massively calmed down though and am not worried about anything except this non sleep of course!!!

Musicaltheatremum Wed 19-Apr-17 16:05:40

Sleep disturbance is common around the menopause. It's a pain. I got HRT which helped at first and I thought "great" but it wore off and although my flushes are controlled, I can't sleep easily. (Might be easier if I stopped going in mumsnet all night!)

mayhew Wed 19-Apr-17 19:31:16

I have had periods of insomnia. Some stress related, some not. Also menopausal
What helped
Maximum bed comfort (topper, new pillows)
Radio on timer to distract/drown stress thoughts
No screens an hour before bedtime
No caffeine after 3pm
No alcohol (boo)
No drinks after 8 pm
Consistent bedtime
No panicking about being awake
Otc sleep tablets after two bad nights (so I don't build up tolerance)

It's helped a lot.

Sunshineandlaughter Fri 21-Apr-17 18:26:54

I would def say it's hormonal.

Maggy74653 Fri 21-Apr-17 18:44:12

I'm suffering from pregnancy insomnia at the moment and I have found getting out of bed and going somewhere else helps. I literally just lay away for hours in my bed when it starts and the longer I lay there the worse it gets. The sofa with the TV on was working for a bit and then when that stopped the other night I ended up on the floor at the end of the landing with my massive pregnancy pillow. I ached horrendously when I woke up but I did actually get some sleep confused

sunnyhills Sat 22-Apr-17 08:51:36

Is there a different ,possibly more sympathetic GP you could see ?I would have thought prescribing a small amount of sleeping tablets /zopiclone or something would help to give you some relief and break the cycle .

Lack of sleep is torture and so debilitating .I do hope you get some help soon .
flowers

pistachioandhoney Mon 24-Apr-17 08:55:05

Thanks everyone. You are so kind and helpful. I went back to the Doc and she gave me a packet of Amitriptyline which on a low dose is meant to help with insomnia. I have taken it the past 4 nights and it has helped me sleep. Hopefully I can get myself out of the rut and get back to my normal sleeping pattern.

eurochick Mon 24-Apr-17 09:09:31

I was about to ask about menopause. I'm in peri and have insomnia the week before my period is due. It's bloody annoying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now