Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

My womb feels swollen - any ideas?

(29 Posts)
ProfessorPickles Tue 18-Apr-17 22:25:50

On and off for a while now my womb has felt swollen, for example I am laying on my back on the settee and I'm really aware of my womb.
It feels like there's some sort of pressure in that area, has anyone else felt the same?

I keep worrying I'm pregnant but I've done tests and they're negative (getting more for tomorrow), I'd be at least 3 months gone now and I'm having regular periods.

I have a copper coil if this could be relevant?

I'm worried it's something sinister because it's been happening for quite a while, but then I keep doubting myself and think I'm making it up.

I'm going to try get an appointment in the morning but would love to hear if anyone has experienced the same?

PossumInAPearTree Tue 18-Apr-17 22:28:03

Uti? It could be your bladder. I get pressure sensation when I have an infection. Never get the classic burning, etc.

ProfessorPickles Tue 18-Apr-17 22:33:18

I hope that's what it is Possum, that never crossed my mind!
Is that the only symptom you get?

I had a quick google and the symptoms I have are pressure and feeling exhausted, I've been horrendously tired lately but I've been unsure why. I assumed a deficiency etc but maybe this could be why

alphabill Tue 18-Apr-17 22:35:41

I was aware of my womb recently, especially lying down. I mentioned it to my gp who had never heard symptoms described in such a way. Turns out I had a womb full of fibroids and it was measuring about the size of a 20 week pregnancy. So as my gp said only you know your own body and what's normal for you. I would get it checked by your GP.

ProfessorPickles Tue 18-Apr-17 22:43:42

Were you having any pain alphabill?
Or any other symptoms?
Does it affect fertility do you know?

ProfessorPickles Tue 18-Apr-17 23:02:03

I'm a bit worried now!
I'm a little overweight with a lot of my weight on my stomach so feel embarrassed going to the doctors with anything stomach related.
It won't stop me though, I'll just cringe throughout instead 😬

alphabill Wed 19-Apr-17 18:29:44

No I wasn't in pain, fibroids can effect fertility but they can also been removed. Fibroids can cause heavy periods. Don't worry just get it checked, it's probably nothing.

ProfessorPickles Fri 28-Apr-17 21:02:17

I've been to see the doctor today and they're going to do blood tests and swabs first, then a scan if they all come back clear.

One of the tests is for ovarian cancer and although I know it's highly unlikely at my age it has scared me a little. I got to my car and burst into tears, someone I once worked with has recently found out she is terminally ill with cancer and she's only in her early 30s.

The feeling of pressure has felt worse the past few days and I think that isn't helping that I can constantly feel it too!

ProfessorPickles Mon 01-May-17 20:24:35

Alphabill or anyone reading who has had the same, could you feel it every single day or could you not some days?

ProfessorPickles Mon 01-May-17 20:40:25

Bump

ProfessorPickles Tue 02-May-17 13:43:58

Final bump!

FancyPuffin Tue 02-May-17 16:51:30

I offer anything helpful but I do understand how bloody scary it is when you have tests like that. It's amazing the various horrifying scenarios our heads can cook up flowers

I hope that all comes back fine.

Takamine Tue 02-May-17 16:53:50

Adenomyosis?

ProfessorPickles Tue 02-May-17 17:47:18

Thank you for the responses!
I've been worrying about it all day today, I can feel the swelling/pressure really bad again and it's making it hard to switch off from the worrying.
I had the blood test first thing this morning so I'm hoping the results will be back tomorrow.

I keep thinking to myself about how whenever I worry about something it never happens and I'm fine, but then I suppose everyone feels that way until something bad does actually happen!

vitaminC Tue 02-May-17 17:50:20

It could be fibroids or an ovarian cyst. I'm surprised your Dr didn't prescribe an ultrasound scan!

Smitff Tue 02-May-17 17:56:29

I was going to say fibroids, which swell and shrink according to your cycle. Far more likely to be this than any form of cancer. It's tough, but wait for the results. Good luck.

ProfessorPickles Tue 02-May-17 18:08:21

The doctor wants to do blood tests and swabs first and then an ultrasound if they come back clear!

I really appreciate your messages, it helps just to talk about it even if it's online. I'm not telling my best friend until I know what's going on because her sister died of cervical cancer at 24 only a few years ago.

Fingers crossed it's fibroids and nothing sinister!

Itscurtainsforyou Wed 03-May-17 19:34:03

Hello OP
I'm experiencing similar to you. I am very bloated and worried about it being ovarian cysts/fibroids (and of course ovarian cancer, no matter how unlikely).

I've had my test results back (clear apart from high hormones indicating pcos, which I already knew about) and am waiting for my ultrasound. It's a 6 week wait here so I'm going to go private just to speed things up.

Hope you get your results soon.

MrsDoylesTeabags Wed 03-May-17 19:44:13

Fibroids are very common and can make your womb feel swollen and heavy.
Really pester your doctor, IME they can be really blasé about gynecological issues

ProfessorPickles Wed 03-May-17 19:58:15

Hi Curtains, it's nice to know we are going through the same thing! (As rubbish as it is).
How much is it costing for you to go private if you don't mind me asking?
If it's a long wait for me too I may consider doing the same, as another 6 weeks of feeling like this would drive me mad.
Do you feel like it permanently or does it feel better some days and worse others?

MrsDoylesTeabags, I will definitely pester them! The doctor I saw seemed to take it seriously so fingers crossed that won't be a problem.

I'm happy to say I got my results back today and everything was clear! I'd been worrying so much, especially as I know two people who are terminal with cancer.

I'm going to book in with that same doctor on Friday and from what she said she'll be referring me for the ultrasound.
I keep worrying I'll get to the scan and they'll tell me I'm 6 months pregnant or something like that, however unlikely that may be grin

Itscurtainsforyou Wed 03-May-17 21:36:11

Great news about the blood results smile

I'm not sure how much the private scan is going to cost (I have a healthcare thing that pays for investigative tests) but I think it's about £200. I would pay that to speed it up, I'm climbing the walls!

My stomach feels full/huge all the time, that's why I'm concerned - previously bloating would come and go but this time it's constant.

I'm hoping that they find something benign like fibroids that they can treat easily.

QODRestYeMerryGentlemen Wed 03-May-17 21:57:53

Are you bleeding between periods etc?
Hopefully it's allll nothing

Fingers crossed 🤞

MollyHuaCha Thu 04-May-17 13:51:20

Thinking of you. Hope you get an answer soon smile

Itscurtainsforyou Tue 09-May-17 15:39:34

How're things op? I have my scan booked for next week - apparently if they have to do both an abdominal and transvaginal scan it will cost £450(!!).

I'm lucky that I pay into a scheme that will cover it, so it's worth it to knock 4 weeks off the waiting time, but a lot of money if you have to fork out yourself.

ProfessorPickles Wed 10-May-17 17:06:29

Hello!

Glad to hear your scan won't be much longer, which day is it on?
And how're you feeling?

Mine is starting to feel a lot worse and I'm fed up of it now! I've been told the letter will come through in a couple of weeks but no idea how long the appointment will be after that.

Thank you for the other responses smile I'm not bleeding between periods, I'm getting fed up now and want to get back to normal!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now