Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

The contraceptive injection and weight gain

(6 Posts)
Cellardoor23 Tue 18-Apr-17 18:17:38

I don't know if this is what's causing it, but I'm bigger now than when I was pregnant, roughly up two dress sizes. I started it the day my son was born (11 months ago) and I'm thinking of stopping it all together.

My diet as far as I'm aware hasn't changed and I walk everywhere, I just don't understand what's going on.

Has this happened to anyone else?

dementedpixie Tue 18-Apr-17 20:42:47

Yes I put on loads of weight with it and bled all the time too. I stopped after my second one. Weight gain is a known side effect

Cellardoor23 Wed 19-Apr-17 20:12:48

Thanks for the reply. I did see that when I looked it up, but it said only a small percentage of women would put on weight and even then not as much as I have. I've put on a lot!

I've started calorie counting without changing my diet to see if maybe I was over eating, but I'm not consuming anymore than about 1500 a day at a push. It's very frustrating!

teaandakitkat Wed 19-Apr-17 20:15:55

I've put on weight. I haven't had bleeding though.
I'm probably up a dress size.

But I've struggled so much to find a reasonable contraceptive all my life, so I can live with the weight gain because apart from that this contraceptive seems to suit me fine.

scaredofthecity Wed 19-Apr-17 20:16:06

it is a very well documented side effect for a significant number of women. If I was you I'd try something else instead. contraception is a pita

Cellardoor23 Sun 23-Apr-17 13:47:05

I'm definitely going to try something else. I went on the scales yesterday and I seem to have put on another stone since my last injection. I am seriously cheesed off. But my back size has gone down by 4 inches in 11 months. It doesn't make any sense.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now