Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Has anyone had cartilage removal from the knee? If so how long until you were back at work?

(14 Posts)
itshappenedagain Tue 18-Apr-17 10:09:53

Just that really. I'm worried I may have to take time off work and it's exam season! Doctor said I can drive as early as the next day but others have stated at least a week off work.

augustusglupe Tue 18-Apr-17 12:43:22

My husband had this done 2 years ago. He had a week off work and needed it!! He did everything that his consultant advised and was driving after about 10 days...not too far though.
DH chose a time when he was quieter work wise though, he's self employed. Could you wait until your work load is lighter or is it urgent?
Just to say, he's never looked back though and is so pleased he had the op smile

user1486071876 Tue 18-Apr-17 18:04:07

I was of for a week but I am not great with GA's. I could drive after a week but only on an automatic car - surgery was on left leg.

I would say that in my case I had to have the cartilage removed, it was ten years ago, but it has not been plan sailing since. Knee pain and weakness etc and it is limiting my sporting activities.

If there is another option by not removing the cartilage then I would look into it.

itshappenedagain Tue 18-Apr-17 22:57:10

Thanks work is never quiet. I'm having it done privately as it's a less invasive surgery and know a few tradesman who have been back at work the next day. Although most I've spoken to have said they had needed at least a week off work.

Alidoll Wed 19-Apr-17 06:44:35

I've had knee surgery 3 times now (torn meniscus) so can speak with some authority on the topic lol!

Your GP is having a laugh if he thinks you can drive the next day. You won't! The knee will be bandaged and swollen and you'll feel like crap. A week yes (though the second time I was off I had two weeks as I found deploying the clutch really uncomfortable).

Self certificate for the week and you should be fine though you'll likely develop arthritis in the knee as that seems to go hand in hand with the surgery.

itshappenedagain Wed 19-Apr-17 12:56:42

Thanks. I think I'd best warn my boss! They will give me a medical certificate from day one should I require it. By said I'll walk out with no crutches etc.

augustusglupe Wed 19-Apr-17 13:20:44

Yes, DH had it done privately so he could choose the date.
Good luck OP

skyzumarubble Wed 19-Apr-17 13:41:43

I had a week off and really struggled with the commute the first couple of days back - train not driving but stand most of the way. No way I could have driven and I'm. It a wimp about pain.

skyzumarubble Wed 19-Apr-17 13:41:55

I'm not a wimp!

AnarchyKitty Wed 19-Apr-17 20:20:45

I had mine done and went to festival two days later.
I have an extremely high pain threshold though.

itshappenedagain Wed 19-Apr-17 21:16:23

It's happening tomorrow! It needs doing and I'm now starting to get a little anxious. Especially as people keep telling me horror stories!

itshappenedagain Fri 21-Apr-17 07:56:32

Update. Had the operation yesterday. Awoke with no pain ( probably due to lots of morphine) was able to walk on it. Woke up this morning with a bit of an ache but have managed to put washing out etc, so looking promising!

Noitsnotteatimeyet Fri 21-Apr-17 08:53:57

I had a similar operation last year (bony spur due to arthritis had broken off and was getting stuck in the joint). My consultant said to rest as much as possible in between doing physio exercises for at least three weeks as that would give me the best long term recovery. He said I'd feel like doing much more after about a week but to force myself to take it easy. It's fine now although I have no cartilage left on the kneecap at all.,,

augustusglupe Fri 21-Apr-17 08:56:51

That's great news OP smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now