Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Just done the symptoms check for ovarian cancer

(7 Posts)
Itscurtainsforyou Mon 17-Apr-17 21:16:50

Sorry if this is insensitive. I've been reading Twitter queen's posts about her OC diagnosis, then did some research on my own symptoms and have put the wind up me.

I'm seeing my gp later this week, but I'm suddenly having a bit of a panic. Basically I've had a strange stabbing pain in my left ovary from time to time, then when I thought about it, my periods have been a bit erratic, I'm weeing more (& having urgent need to go) more, I'm pooing more frequently and my stomach is really bloated constantly (but because I'm fairly big already it's not as noticeable as it might be).

Just read through risks, apparently my diabetes increases risk of OC by 25% shock, i'm overweight and have pcos.

Am I likely to be overreacting? My mum currently has cancer so I may be hypersensitive to things like this, but I'm now starting to worry.

myrtleWilson Mon 17-Apr-17 21:24:22

Hi Curtains
Am so sorry you're feeling anxious - I know how that feels. Can you (not on here) be clearer about the frequency of your symptoms - you talk about "from time to time" "erratic" etc - it may well be that these are perfectly normal occurrences but you're conflating their occurrence to happen together .... That said, I do honestly know how you are feeling.

TwitterQueen1 Mon 17-Apr-17 21:26:07

Hey curtains, it's me. Blood test is the first step. This will clearly show whether anything is wrong. The CA125 marker indicates whether the body is fighting something - not necessarily cancer.

Could it be your PCOS?

My message to everyone is to be aware of your body and any changes. The problem with OC is that generally there are very few, if any, symptoms but you are right to go to your Dr. Good luck. Ask me anything you want.

Itscurtainsforyou Mon 17-Apr-17 21:46:02

Thank you both!

Looking back I think I've noticed quite a few of these symptoms fairly regularly since Christmas. My GP is generally quite sympathetic, hopefully she'll agree to blood test (& scans if necessary) asap.

Thanks again

Itscurtainsforyou Tue 02-May-17 19:42:21

I've had some blood tests and my ca125 is "normal", but my free androgen index is high (which I believe isn't unusual if you have pcos).

I'm still very bloated and have random stabbing pains in my left ovary area, so I think I have cysts at least. It's been 2 weeks now and still no date for a scan.

Anyone else had experience of this?

Sunshineandlaughter Tue 02-May-17 21:23:25

Can you afford to book a private scan? They are ususlly about £80-120 and well worth it to alleviate anxiety in my opinion

Itscurtainsforyou Wed 03-May-17 12:42:15

Thank you - I phoned the hospital and was told there's a 6 week wait for scans so I've inquired about paying for it and am now currently waiting for my gp to write a referral letter to the nearest private hospital. Hopefully once that's done they'll be able to fit me in within days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now