Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Excessive and constant burping - help!

(16 Posts)
Composteleana Mon 17-Apr-17 17:25:26

Hi
This has never happened to me before and I am in general not a burpy person. Last week after a McDonalds, which I don't have often, I went to bed and couldn't stop burping for a few hours. I put it down to the bad food and it was gone the next day. But last night, not having eaten anything particularly unusual, it started again about 9pm and has lasted all day today. I have literally not stopped belching at least every 30seconds, all day. Sometimes it's quite painful and can make me feel sick. Sometimes it feels 'stuck' and I have to force it. I go back to work tomorrow - teacher - and I can't stand there burping all
over the children. Why is this happening? How can I make it stop???!!!!

NavyandWhite Mon 17-Apr-17 18:04:24

Hpylori and gallstones made me very burpy.

Composteleana Mon 17-Apr-17 20:18:41

Thanks Navy - would there not be other symptoms if it was something like that?

NavyandWhite Mon 17-Apr-17 20:49:28

Yes after a while there would be pain etc but I started off with both those things with burping when normally I don't!

Could be acid reflux. Maybe pop to the GP if it carries on?

Composteleana Mon 17-Apr-17 21:02:25

I will do thanks Navy

NavyandWhite Mon 17-Apr-17 21:07:42

Have you got any gaviscon in? The pink bottle is pretty good. Hope it soon goes!

nessus Mon 17-Apr-17 21:09:29

Try some fennel tea OP. The stuff is like magic.

lovechocolate123 Mon 17-Apr-17 21:16:23

Gaviscon double action works well

NavyandWhite Mon 17-Apr-17 21:18:08

Yes that's the one love , double action. Tired brain. And yes to fennel tea.It's lovely to drink too.

LostMyDotBrain Mon 17-Apr-17 21:25:29

H Pylori would definitely be my guess as that's how it first presented for me. I've now been treated for that and am still being treated for the resulting stomach ulcers. Worth talking to your GP about before it gets to that stage.

PlugUgly1980 Mon 17-Apr-17 21:30:36

It can also be a stress / anxiety reaction. My DH isn't really a burper but he started doing it constantly, during a particularly stressful period. I noticed when he was completely relaxed or absorbed in something else it would stop until he thought about it again. He saw the GP who unprompted asked about stress and anxiety and said it can be a reflex which is triggered. True to form it disappeared when his stress did! Very occasionally it reappears but no where near the extreme it was.

Composteleana Mon 17-Apr-17 22:46:25

Hmmm, I was very very anxious in the run up to the school holidays, had 2 weeks off and was feeling a bit more normal, but now I'm feeling anxious about going back in tomorrow - could be that.

I will try Fennel tea and get some gaviscon in just in case, hopefully it will stop but if not I'll ask the GP. Going to google h pylori to see if there's any other symptoms to look out for. Wonder if Yakut or similar would help.

worriedme04 Fri 21-Apr-17 15:32:59

Hi just wondering if you got any answers from GP?
I have this too,however I HAVE been tested for H Pylori ,Celiac and had an Endoscopy so pretty much ruled out all the upper GI conditions which could be causing burping.

wineandsunshine Fri 21-Apr-17 16:39:26

I've had this for ages - very similar symptoms and anxiety. After seeing the consultant on Tuesday and having an endoscopy he said to just use ranitidine when I need it along with gaviscon.

honeyfull Fri 21-Apr-17 20:47:50

It's a pain in the you know what. The constant burping is doing my head in. No other symptoms like acid reflux or pains anywhere.

Just this bubble of air that needs to be expelled every five minutes!

Something must be causing this. Anxiety is possibly a cause, but why would this just happen to me suddenly. I'm totally fed up with it now.

Will try the Gaviscon and Fennel Tea. Thanks for the tip.

worriedme04 Sat 22-Apr-17 09:54:10

honeyfull I feel just like you do.
However I DO have stomach pain as well.
Doc are thinking its anxiety and IBS.
I am worried its something else-but Docs do not seem concerned.
I was given some PPIs but they did not seem to help at all,currently taking nothing and just hoping it gets better.
I am going to try cutting out wheat however-to help with my IBS.
Have you been to the Docs to rule out anything like H Pylori etc?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now