Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Would this be considered a dental emergency

(14 Posts)
Stansmith01 Mon 17-Apr-17 07:29:33

I'm embarrassed to admit I haven't been to the dentist for roughly 6 years. I have quite bad anxiety, and my parents rarely took me to the dentist so I haven't been going for regular checkups.
Recently, I've been experiencing toothache pain/discomfort whilst chewing from the left side back of my mouth - it's not severe but it has been bothering me. After googling I'm pretty sure I have pericoronitis sad (partially erupted wisdom tooth that is blocked, and so the gum is inflamed)
I was going to book a dentist appointment, I'll be going private, but I wasn't sure if this would count as an emergency appointment? It's silly but I don't want to embarrass myself by asking for an emergency appointment when it's not necessary, however on a website I was looking at it says any toothache would be considered an emergency dental appointment. Even though I'll be going private, most of my local dentists seem to be very popular so I'm slightly worried things will get worse if I have to wait for another week (i.e. get a bad infection).
Sorry if this seems like a weird thing to ask, most sane people would probably just call up the dentist reception and ask but as mentioned above I'm quite an anxious person lol

KarmaNoMore Mon 17-Apr-17 07:33:53

No, it is not an emergency appointment. In fact if you book an emergency appointment for that they will probably tell you to rake paracetamol for the pain and book a regular appointment. IME Emergency appointments are for abcesses and other things that could develop into a a proper serious problem within hours.

KarmaNoMore Mon 17-Apr-17 07:34:22

Take not rake.

Stansmith01 Mon 17-Apr-17 07:35:30

Okay, thank you! smile

ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 17-Apr-17 07:36:55

I'd at least ring up and ask. Toothache is awful.

LouKout Mon 17-Apr-17 07:38:32

It isnt at moment but it will be if it flares up, so please get seen. In meantime could try swishing with corsodyl and warm salty water (separately)

Lucked Mon 17-Apr-17 07:42:46

If you don't have any problems with ibuprofen you could take that regularly for a couple of days, it's helpful for inflammation.

LobsterQuadrille Mon 17-Apr-17 07:43:49

Take paracetamol and apply oil of cloves to the affected area.

It's not technically an emergency but I would ring around all dentists in your area to find the earliest possible appointment - many have cancellations, or you could leave your contact details in case of a cancellation on the day, then just keep the earliest that you can get and cancel any others. Toothache is horrible. No-one actually likes the dentist and sorry for stating the obvious but the fear is much reduced if you go twice a year. Good luck!

LouKout Mon 17-Apr-17 07:45:18

As dental receptionist id say if not sure phone and explain the appointment ans then they will book the correct appointment type. And dont be shy, we speak to many people with toothache every day, it's routine to us.

PhoenixJasmine Mon 17-Apr-17 07:59:17

Agree with over the counter/pharmacist treatment first - anti-inflammatory painkillers, anbesol liquid (antiseptic/local anaesthetic). I get similar and this usually sorts it out. Unless you have any evidence of serious infection - pus, bad smell, swelling of the area/associated glands.

At my dentist a routine appointment is about a 3 month wait (I book mine at least 6 months in advance!) but I wouldn't use an emergency appointment for this unless over the counter treatment hasn't worked.

Sympathy, it is rotten. Can't recommend anbesol enough though, wonderful stuff!

I would say to book a routine appointment anyway, if it's been 6 years!

HarrietSchulenberg Mon 17-Apr-17 08:12:25

Ask the receptionist when you book the appointment. My dentist (NHS not private) will issue an earlier appt if I have toothache, otherwise it's 6 weeks for a routine one.
Yours is not a routine appt as you are in pain, but neither is it an emergency.

LouKout Mon 17-Apr-17 08:15:52

I would probably book you in for an examination , at which the dentist can flush it out for you too and arrange further cleaning .

Mrscog Mon 17-Apr-17 08:22:17

You probably wouldn't get an emergency appointment but in my experience they will get you in sooner if you're in pain.

DancingLedge Mon 17-Apr-17 08:42:34

Actually, it doesn't really matter what you or I or a bunch of people on the internet think is classed as emergency/urgent/routine : it only matters how the dentist you're going to see classes it, so ring them as soon as you can, and describe the pain to them.This is not something you can, or have to, make a decision about.

Availability of appointments varies hugely.

Nervousness of dental stuff is horrid to experience and pretty common. Tell them you're anxious, then they will know to be kind. Dental anxiety gets less the more you go.

flowersHope it works out well, and you're soon feeling better

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now