Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Possible cold sore...panic...as have a 4 week old

(8 Posts)
user2013 Sat 15-Apr-17 16:47:39

Hi there...just needing some advice...I have been reading about the effects of a cold sore on newborns....and I now have a possible cold sore on my top lip...its just a red mark but it is tingling....i have been having baby blues and feel run down....I am at a panic stage as have a 4 week old and dont want to transfer this possible thing on to them.....i have been constantly washing my hands and over the past day not kissing my baby.....feel like im being paranoid from reading the horror stories online....just think i need to watch this space and see if the red mark worsens and then go to see GP......just wanting to see if im being stupid or not!

Sunshineandlaughter Sat 15-Apr-17 19:09:30

Could you phone your hv/midwife ask their advice?
I think you are right to take a few appropriate precautions until you know for sure it's safe.

mayhew Sat 15-Apr-17 19:10:45

Two things.
1. Herpes virus from a cold sore is spread by direct contact. Don't kiss or nuzzle the baby while you might have a cold sore
2. Get some Zovirax cream from a pharmacy to avert or shorten a breakout

Then you should be fine

Ecureuil Sat 15-Apr-17 19:14:24

I had a huge cold sore outbreak when DD2 was a couple of weeks old (the result of no sleep!) and she didn't catch them. I was just really careful not to touch it with my hands, washed my hands regularly and didn't kiss the baby/nuzzle her or anything like that.

NotAQueef Sat 15-Apr-17 19:21:10

Can you get one of those patches to cover it?
I had a cold sore when dd was a couple of weeks old and had been kissing her in the night while feeding before I realized. I was v worried by hv didn't really have any advice but said that as had had previous cold sores (and in fact one a few weeks before she was born) and was breastfeeding she would probably be fine,
It was the best I could find out but not exactly reassuring for definite.
Have you had cold sores before?

NotAQueef Sat 15-Apr-17 19:22:57

Sorry I missed out the part that I was told dd would be fine due to my having had them before and some immunity via be-ing though not sure if this is based in fact

twinklehickorymoomoo Sat 15-Apr-17 19:26:35

You can get those clear patches that are meant to speed up healing time but also might give a bit more protection in case your hand wipes against it.

beekeeper17 Sat 15-Apr-17 19:33:51

I got a cold sore when I was still in hospital after giving birth! I was in for a few days and was so exhausted and run down. The medics advised the clear patches you put on over the cold sore and also the aciclovir/Zovirax cream. I was so stressed about it because I'd read some horror story online but they actually weren't too bothered about it. I must admit that I kept slapping on the cream every hour or two (it's not going to do any harm to use it more often than the recommend) and I avoided kissing baby. Tea tree oil is also really good. Pop some on a tissue and hold it against the cold sore every hour or two. It was all fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now