Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Morton's neuroma Anyone been diagnosed with this?

(11 Posts)
Enko Sat 15-Apr-17 00:00:02

I suspect (via google I admit) that I have Morton's neuroma. I can't get a doctors appointment for 2 weeks *due to working away not due to Doctor" and realise that will only be the beginning as I would need a Podiatrist and a referral.

In the meantime I thought I would ask if anyone has been diagnosed with this. How did you find treatment? Did new shoes work or have you gone further to operation or how?

Right now it is mostly a sensation of pins and needles between3rd and 4th toe but I also get pains in heel for a while I was suspecting plantar fasciitis so do need a Podiatrist I know. Just sort of on a fact seeking mission with this post.

Footle Sat 15-Apr-17 08:22:08

I had two Morton's neuromas removed from the same foot about four years ago. Foot still hurts over a larger area, but differently. Funny business, messing about with nerves.

SheSparkles Sat 15-Apr-17 08:25:05

Ouch! Yes I had one removed about 4 years ago....no more pain but I do get a kind of "pulling" sensation when I stretch my toes out. The sensation I get is way better than the pain was though. Before I had it removed the only footwear I could tolerate was Fitflops as they allowed my foot to totally spread out so the nerve wasn't getting pinched

shirleycartersaidso Sat 15-Apr-17 08:30:55

Me. Bloody horrendous. Dr is talking about about cortisone injections. Someone here has had surgery for it. Don't think I'm prepared to mess about with it.

BootCampSucker Sat 15-Apr-17 08:33:59

I had mine removed about six years ago. Tried injections and special insoles first, but they didn't really help. I now only get pain very occasionally, which compared to how it was before the op is fantastic. Because of where the wound was on my foot (going into the crease between third and fourth toes) I did have some issues with the wound healing, and have to have the first one debrided followed by twice weekly wound packing at hospital for a couple of months which wasn't much fun. Still definitely worth it though!

pleasestopsnoring Sat 15-Apr-17 08:42:08

How long were you out of action after your surgery? My mum has this in both feet, they hurt constantly

highinthesky Sat 15-Apr-17 08:55:45

First get a proper diagnosis (but you knew that!). Book an appointment for when you get back.

You can also help yourself in advance of seeing your GP by getting wider shoes (and insoles if you think plantar fasciitis has a role to play), and assessing whether either provides you with any relief.

Depending on how severe it is, I personally would want to go in hard and fast with treatment, rather than suffer. That is just a personal choice, though.

Footle Sat 15-Apr-17 09:33:30

I had a cortisone injection in one, but it didn't help. Btw I've never worn constricting or heeled shoes in my ( long ) life. The neuromas arrived after I'd had surgery for a bunion on that foot.

Enko Sat 15-Apr-17 10:22:06

Thabk you for all the responses I am a bit overwhelmed as i throught it wouls be a bit of an obscure one. In a strange eay it is good to see others understand how it feels.

I wear insoles or support foot things (forgot name) they make it better but not completely. For work I have to wear business type shoes, as my feet overheat easilly i tend to stick with court type shoes. I currently live in a pair of Hotter shoes as they are cut so there is barely any squeeze on the toes and a slight heel. I can almost make it through a day worth without pain getting so bad I want to cry out. Did 2 days in flats 3 weeks ago oh boy did i regret that.

I will see gp yes considering phoning o n Wednesday to see if they will make referral without seeing me. If not I will need to wait.

highinthesky Sat 15-Apr-17 10:36:41

Glad to hear it OP. There is a slim chance you may be able to have a telephone consultation to generate the referral, if you can describe exactly where the pain is anatomically and the steps you have take to resolve it. (Using anti-imflammatories will have been expected, so if you can tolerate ibuprofen and haven't already tried it, get cracking with this asap). But usually when it comes to specific musculoskeletal issues, a GP would want to prod you about a bit themselves.

shirleycartersaidso Sat 15-Apr-17 10:41:21

For work I wear Clarks brogues - if it's playing up I can loosen off the laces which helps. I've just bought a pair of toms which are great and don't seem to cause an issue for casual.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now