We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Scarlett fever..do i need to see gp

(32 Posts)
anyadviceplease78 Fri 14-Apr-17 18:46:57

Dd was diagnosed by gp with scarlett fever 3 days ago for which she was prescribed antibiotics. For the past four days i have been sleeping next to her, soothing her and very close to her.
Woke up today with headache, which paracetamol not touching, sore throat and funny taste in mouth and generally unwell

My question is, do i need antibiotics or will it go in due course? I might call out of hours but before i do does any one have any advice please
Thanks

anyadviceplease78 Fri 14-Apr-17 19:05:34

Anyonesad

ILoveMyMonkey Fri 14-Apr-17 19:08:08

According to the NHS website it says you should contact your Dr as soon as you have symptoms of Scarlet Fever so I'd call 111 as soon as possible given that it's a bank holiday. Hope you both feel better soon.

christinarossetti Fri 14-Apr-17 19:08:32

Yes, call out of hours. I fairly sure that antibiotics will always be prescribed for scarlet fever.

anyadviceplease78 Fri 14-Apr-17 19:17:23

Thank you - just wanted to make sure im not wasting their time. I'm currently on hold

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 14-Apr-17 20:59:28

You aren't wasting your time, even if the ooh doctor doesn't help, this is a sensible thing to phone with.

shewolfmum Fri 14-Apr-17 23:41:25

Think it isna reportable disease. I didn't take abx when i had it...took about a week and then another week of no energy.

shewolfmum Fri 14-Apr-17 23:41:41

* is a

anyadviceplease78 Sat 15-Apr-17 07:24:10

The nurse called back, she said sounds very much like it could be scarlet fever but as i don't have any spots they wouldn't prescribe anything.

Woke up this morning feeling even worse, currently sat in the bath crying, the bath soothes my aching bones.
I'm wondering if it could be tonsillitis as dd also had that at the same time.

Got so much to do today too sadsad

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 15-Apr-17 09:01:02

You need to phone back. Scarlet fever is what they call a reaction to the strep bug that causes tonsillitis. Some people come out in a rash in response to the toxin the bacteria releases, some people don't. I think you have picked up the strep infection and it does make you feel very poorly sad I don't know any doctors that wouldn't prescribe antibiotics for a strep infection.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 15-Apr-17 09:05:18

Sorry, that was a bit strident. Have you taken paracetamol and ibuprofen?

highinthesky Sat 15-Apr-17 09:13:55

Firstly forget about what you need to do today.

Scarlet fever is a very big deal (many of us won't have suffered it during childhood) and notifiable. It's also not going anywhere without treatment so be prepared to assert yourself.

Has a rash developed since you spoke to 111? You need to be re-assessed rather than triaged out of the system, ring them again and insist on either a conversation with the duty GP, or a face to face assessment. They should be able to book you an appointment.

Some helpful advice from PHE: www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/338368/Scarlet_fever_Q_and_A_factsheet.pdf

Let us know what happens? flowers

shewolfmum Sat 15-Apr-17 09:36:07

Mine went without treatmeny is absolutely does go. Gargle salt water with a tiny bit cayene or turmeric. Rash was horrid bit i took bryonia homeo pills. Doc was surprised that when my swab came back positive i was feeling much better. It was rough though...feel for you. Get to bed and rest.

Waterlemon Sat 15-Apr-17 09:41:39

Both tonsillitis and scarlet fever are streptococol infections, so the symptoms are pretty similar, you can get a rash with tonsillitis too, but the scarlet fever rash is very pronounced.

Either way streptococol infections are bacterial and so respond to antibiotics.

highinthesky Sat 15-Apr-17 09:56:53

Mine went without treatmeny is absolutely does go. Gargle salt water with a tiny bit cayene or turmeric. Rash was horrid bit i took bryonia homeo pills. Doc was surprised that when my swab came back positive i was feeling much better. It was rough though...feel for you. Get to bed and rest.

This response beggars belief. IGNORE this isolated anecdote and stick with years of medical experience.

shewolfmum Sat 15-Apr-17 10:12:37

Ha...sorry for sharing my experience highupyourarse

highinthesky Sat 15-Apr-17 10:31:45

You should be, you're a public health menace.

Isn't there a MMR board somewhere you can troll on?

shewolfmum Sat 15-Apr-17 11:34:29

The only point of antibiotics is to reduce the legnth of time you are contagious and as you are unlikely to be seeing anybody not much point and will only weaken your system. Sorry for pointing out that i self treated and recovered...now i am some form of poison to you! Nut case! Hope you feel better soon OP.

Haggisfish Sat 15-Apr-17 11:39:01

This is not the point of antibiotics at all. They kill bacteria and stop them reproducing.

youarenotkiddingme Sat 15-Apr-17 11:46:04

My friends DD had scarlet fever. (Well it was never dx but we know she did).

She was extremely unwel and unable to get off the sofa for 5 days. She had the tell tale rash.

However because she was not treated accordingly with antibiotics she took a secondary infection of pneumonia and was bluelighted to a and e with a 42° temperature.

Get yourself seen - just be assertive

Kewcumber Sat 15-Apr-17 11:49:35

will only weaken your system

What does that mean?!

I was on antibiotics for 2 years and my "system" is perfectly fine thanks!

SorrelForbes Sat 15-Apr-17 11:51:33

Ignore the troll above, bloody spices and homeopathic cures? FFS!

You should definitely get yourself seen and I would expect you to be prescribed antibiotics.

I had it 3 years ago and my symptoms included sore and red palms of hand, a rash on my neck and chest and a general feeling of unwellness (the take to your bed type). The GP did a phone consult and asked my DH to come in before the surgery closed to pick up my antibiotics. I had to go in two days later to have blood taken as it's a notifiable illness.

Birdsbeesandtrees Sat 15-Apr-17 12:01:36

Homeopathic bollocks.

My mum remembers having scarlet fever as a very young child in the 40s before antibiotics were in common use for everyone. She was very ill for weeks. It's a serious illness that we have medicine that can easily treat it now and we are damn lucky.

Bloody idiots peddling homeopathic crap. If that stuff worked it would have worked pre antibiotics too. Not only that but sheeolf is displaying a total ignorance of how aniboitics work too. For gods sake read some actual science and educate yourself before telling people to do this stuff. This kind of "advice" can kill.

Birdsbeesandtrees Sat 15-Apr-17 12:02:04

*antibiotics

highinthesky Sun 16-Apr-17 11:10:36

Any update, OP? I hope DD is improving, and that you're not suffering. flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now