Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Positive experiences of mirena coil?

(12 Posts)
Talk75 Fri 14-Apr-17 14:17:20

I had the mirena fitted three weeks ago and was fine at first but now my skin is greasy and spotty and my hair has started to fall out!! My scalp is also sore and itchy.

I've had very very heavy periods since I had my second child 7 years ago and have suffered on and off with anaemia ever since.

The consultant recommended the mirena as a cure for my heavy periods and anaemia - they won't prescribe me the combined pill anymore as I'm early 40s and been on the pill for 25 years or so. Also my periods were still really heavy on the combined pill so not working.

Anyway to cut to the point the doc has told me that the next treatment after the coil would be to damage/burn away the lining of my womb (vom) or have a hysterectomy which I don't want.

I really want the coil to work but the side effects (hair loss) are worrying me. I'm also starving all the time!!

Has this happened to anyone and do the side effects settle down after a while. Xx

Thank you.

whatisforteamum Fri 14-Apr-17 18:50:45

Hi yes bear with it.I also had heavy bleeding and Morena has been a miracle cure for me.when I first had it I felt queasy and bloated and my hair went greasy.I wondered what I had done changing from the copper coil.
Now I've had two in the last ten yes and I think it is fantastic. My daughter had one fitted at 17 too with no problems what so ever.

smu06set Fri 14-Apr-17 18:54:12

Keep going - i had mirena for 3 years and it took my heavy periods (yup they caused anaemia too) to light periods and i will have mirena back again after baby!

Iris65 Fri 14-Apr-17 18:56:26

First six months were a disappointment to me as the pain and bleeding continued and I had it removed after endometritis. Had a second fitted and I have never looked back.The pain and heavy bleeding are a distant memory 😄

Iris65 Fri 14-Apr-17 18:58:53

I should say that I was very anaemic and was told that I needed a hysterectomy. My heart problems preclude elective surgery so I chose to try a Mirena over the long term.

celeryisnotasuperfood Fri 14-Apr-17 19:07:50

Oh gosh I never connected the desperate hunger and greasy hair with my mirena coil - just assumed another hang up from pregnancy and breastfeeding!
Anyway other than that then I have found it great to not worry about periods. Occasionally might have a bit of light spotting and recognise irrational emotions which I assume are the only lingering effects of a hidden menstrual cycle.
Sorry mine is just for contraception purposes so not your exact situation but I am happy with it...

rosie39forever Fri 14-Apr-17 20:16:14

I had Mirena for heavy periods 7 months ago, first couple of months had spots, greasy skin and random spotting for four months and also slight increase in appetite, but God it has been worth it not to have horrendous periods and anemia. My advice would be to give it at least 6 months for your body to adjust to it, mine seems to have setteled down now skin and hair is fine and no spotting and appetite back to normal.

tissuesosoft Fri 14-Apr-17 20:22:01

Had mine placed in September, had three months of heavy bleeding and then it trickled off. Have had no bleeding since January. I love it!

Talk75 Sat 15-Apr-17 13:27:08

Thanks so much for all of your replies ;)
So relieved to hear about your good experiences.

So desperately want it to work so will stick with it.

Thank you ;)

TheLongRider Sat 15-Apr-17 21:27:45

Yes, definitely give it six months to settle down, particularly if you had extreme symptoms beforehand. I had greasy skin, spots and sore boobs for the first few months after having the Mirena inserted and then everything disappeared.

I've heard that anaemia can lead to hair loss and it can take a few months for iron stores to build up again.

Yogagirl123 Sat 15-Apr-17 21:35:07

I love the Mirena, I am on my second one, I really suffered with heavy periods before the Mirena, it's been great for me and I would recommend, I rarely have a period now and don't miss them one bit.

Talk75 Mon 17-Apr-17 22:22:06

Thanks so much for your advice smile so glad it worked for you all xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now