Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What could it be if not PCOS

(5 Posts)
Doordye Thu 13-Apr-17 17:11:22

My daughte is 15, she has just had her blood results back and they are normal, However she has the following symptoms. Irregular periods, thick coarse hair all over her buttocks, very uneven breast size & Hidradenitis Suppurativa. Which are all symptoms of PCOS.

She was tested 2 years ago including a scan and it came back clear then as well, but from reading online the cysts can develop more as she gets older which was why Ive asked that they look again. Im really surprised her bloods came back normal and a bit at a loss of what to do next. Surely its not normal to have all those symptoms & there be nothing wrong.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 15-Apr-17 01:09:51

What hormone levels were tested and on which days?. Ideally she should have had LH and FSH compared with each other on day 2 . If periods are irregular such tests can and should be done according to calendar days.

The cystic follicles associated with PCOS can and do disappear only to be replaced by further cystic follicles.

PCOS is not always readily recognised even now by GPS.
I would seek a second opinion from a gynaecologist, GP should refer her to such a person.

www.verity-pcos.org.uk is a good website on PCOS generally.

VimFuego101 Sat 15-Apr-17 01:11:09

I agree, the verity website is great. Doctors often have outdated or incorrect knowledge of what is normal... i would ask exactly what her results/ numbers were.

coffeecoffeecoffeee Sat 15-Apr-17 16:08:59

I agree ask for her numbers.

AgainstTheOddsNo2 Sat 15-Apr-17 16:15:29

I have pcos. My bloods have always been fine! Numerous other symptoms and scans showing cysts confirmed diagnosis even in absence of irregular blood results.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now