Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Vit D and Ferritin

(19 Posts)
MissDuke Thu 13-Apr-17 15:53:46

Hi all

I have been feeling awful for some time now. Low mood, no motivation, achy, have been unable to do my normal exercise which has led to significant weight gain, ridiculously tired. I feel like I have a mild flu ALL of the time. It is so frustrating! I used to be out everyday with the children. Now I go nowhere sad

Had some bloods done at last (couldn't even motivate myself to do that until now blush

Thyroid results look good -
TSH 1.98 (0.27 - 4.20 mIU/L)
T4 Total 98.6 (64.5 - 142.0 nmol/L)
Free T4 13.44 (12 - 22 pmol/L)
Free T3 4.45 (3.1 - 6.8 pmol/L)

Vitamin D not so good -
17 (<25 severely deficient, normal range 50-175)

Ferritin is fine according to doc -
20 (20-150)

B12 is great -
430 (250-725)

Hb was 12 which is ok.

Just wondering whether I should supplement with iron given that the ferritin is right at the bottom of the range? Also would low vit D really be making me feel this awful? I have googled but there is a lot of conflicting info.

Would be grateful for some thoughts from anyone who has experienced similar.

MrsJayy Thu 13-Apr-17 15:56:10

A supplement won't do any harm what did the GP say?

MrsJayy Thu 13-Apr-17 15:57:51

I am being investigated for fybromoralgia (spelling) I have the same symtoms as you also i have chronic pain.

MrsJayy Thu 13-Apr-17 15:58:40

I have chronic fatigue it drives me nuts

MissDuke Thu 13-Apr-17 16:06:15

I have wondered about fibro too Mrs Jayy although the GP didn't suggest it. Just said the bloods would be the initial step. I guess maybe I need to sort the vit D and see from there. She was quite dismissive in general, didn't really think the low vit d would cause me to feel so awful yet didn't suggest any other investigations confused

Scarftown Thu 13-Apr-17 16:17:16

The low vitamin d definitely can make you feel that bad. 17 is very low and as you say severely deficient.

Severe and long term deficiency can lead to symptoms such as bone aches muscle aches depression weight gain. Head sweats. Tiredness. Hair loss.

My mum thought the doctor was being dismissive when he suggested vit d deficiency. Her bloods suggest severe and she was started on a large daily dose. She has started to feel much better after only a few weeks she has several more weeks of high doses and then they will investigate if her low levels are a problem or if just a normal daily dose will fix it.

See how you feel they will often investigate further if you can't get your levels up

curvyfrog Thu 13-Apr-17 16:24:12

I had my Vit D bloods back today and they were slightly higher than yours at 20. So very low and needing treatment.

I've had severe tiredness, fatigue, skin problems and brain fog. Both my sisters recently tested extremely low too and they have started on 3200 dose a day of prescribed supplement.

They have their bounce and zing back already. Vit D deficiency, especially over a time can cause these symptoms.

Hopefully your GP will prescribe and you'll get in top of it in about 12 weeks all being well.

curvyfrog Thu 13-Apr-17 16:27:20

The amount you'll need to correct such a deficiency sadly cannot be consumed through diet or through over the counter supplements. They are just too weak. Hopefully you'll get treatment soon.

MrsJayy Thu 13-Apr-17 17:49:59

It has taken me years Missduke was a Gp who suggested it might be that I am getting the blood test you have just had keep at the Drs

QueenieGoldstein Thu 13-Apr-17 17:53:01

I have a severe Vit D deficiency (test came back as 4, yep that's right 4) and am on high strength tablets daily for life now (10,000 miu).

I'm a classic red head who has to cover up fully in any sort of sun and use a high SPF. Before my deficiency was diagnosed I was told I had CFS, since being on the tablets nearly all of my symptoms have improved if not disappeared.

DaughterDrowningInJunk Thu 13-Apr-17 17:55:20

Your ferritin is very low and will be making you feel awful too. Do you have heavy periods or a restricted diet? I would definitely look at supplementing iron and aim to get the ferritin to a minimum of 70. You might have to try various iron supplements to find one that suits you as they can be quite unpleasant to take.

Bebraveagain Thu 13-Apr-17 18:49:37

Definately need a high dose vit D and ferritin to get levels to optimum. Also keep an eye on thyroid levels as FT4 and FT3 are both low in range. Just worth noting the levels as if they drop much further, and TSH rises, it could indicate a decline in thyroid function.

MichaelSheensNextDW Thu 13-Apr-17 19:23:35

What they said ^^

Pleasemrstweedie Thu 13-Apr-17 19:30:35

OP, that ferritin needs to be at least mid range and preferably around 100 to be optimal, vitamin D around 100 also and vitamin B12 and folate towards the top of their reference ranges.

Also, although your TSH looks good, your FT4 is very low in range, and your FT3 could be higher, possibly because your vits and mins are low and possibly because your pituitary is not stimulating your thyroid as it should.

All this is fixable, but it requires an organised approach and some money bring thrown at it. This is where I was in 2010. I'm fine now.

DaughterDrowningInJunk Thu 13-Apr-17 19:39:51

Pleasemrstweedie, please could you remind me which iron supplements you took? I'm sure you have told me before but low ferritin has given me brain fog.

sunnyhills Thu 13-Apr-17 20:37:33

AFAIK you shouldn't take iron and Vit D together because it inhibits vit D absorption - so spsace them out .

esk1mo Thu 13-Apr-17 21:54:36

my ferritin has climbed from 11 to 21 and i still feel pretty bad, so id definitely aim for 50. i dont know my vitamin D levels but i take supplements. for vitamin D3 i use Solgar liquid drops 2500iu (you can buy on amazon) and they have really made a difference.

take your iron with vitamin C and dont drink tea around the time you take the supplement. also get some nice rare steak on your plate! grin

MissDuke Thu 13-Apr-17 22:20:27

Thank you so much for all the responses, I really appreciate it!!!

Very interesting info. I do indeed have heavy periods. I don't have a restricted diet as such but don't really like red meat so tend to eat chicken and fish. Might try to do roast beef every week as thinking the kids eat the same as me so might be deficient too sad

That is interesting about the thyroid. There is a strong family history of thyroid problems so I have always wondered if I will get it so I guess it is worth getting it repeated in a while.

Thanks also for the advice about how to take the tablets. I am getting a prescription tomorrow for the vit d but not sure what dose it will be. Not giving me anything for iron, I have spatone in the cupboard that I have taken on and off, will get better about taking it and have a look at alternatives.

Queenie it is reassuring to hear you felt better after supplementation - 4 shock You must have felt awful!
Thanks again everyone.

EllenRipley Fri 14-Apr-17 01:37:09

Your ferritin is definitely low, even though it's in the accepted range 'range', so that with your vit D deficiency will make you feel pretty awful. Get supplementing! I'm sure you will see a big improvement.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now