Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Colposcopy referral - advice please?

(6 Posts)
Freefalling123 Thu 13-Apr-17 15:27:53

I had a routine smear last Monday. I was away with work yesterday afternoon / last night, and have only just picked up my messages from then due to meetings / travel.

I have one from my GP surgery late yesterday afternoon asking me to phone for a non-urgent telephone call to discuss my results - they can give me an appointment next week for this. Ok....fine, it's only a call so can't be urgent.

Then this morning I have a message from the local hospital asking me to attend a colposcopy clinic referral a week Wednesday.

I am now in freefall panic mode that a) I haven't even spoken to the doctor so have no idea of the actual concerns 2) that they have even let the hospital call me without me knowing the actual why 3) just panicking generally

Right now I am on a train with wi-fi but no signal so can't call the docs for at least another 45 mins - plus now likely to have to endure a full long bank holiday weekend of panic.

Advice / reassurance please?

Knittedfrog Thu 13-Apr-17 15:34:54

Didn't want to read and run. I have no knowledge of this but wanted to say I'm here if you need a hand hold. Hopefully someone will be along who has experience of this. Try not to panic until you've got the facts. Easier said than done, I know.

overwroughtowl Thu 13-Apr-17 15:40:59

Try not to worry, it may be something small. I was called for only borderline changes. Hope you get through to your doctors today so you're not panicking about it all weekend flowers

Teddy6767 Thu 13-Apr-17 15:48:10

I had to go for a colposcopy as my smear came back with abnormal results (CIN2) which is the first stage of precancerous cells.
I went for a biopsy first and the doctor could see a small cluster of the precancerous cells on my cervix. A few weeks later I had the LLETZ treatment (laser wire which cuts through the cells) and she removed about a finger tip size of my cervix. I didn't feel anything as had the area numbed. I did feel nipping when she was cauterising the area afterwards to stop any bleeding but it only lasted 10 seconds. Had bad cramping for about 24 hours after like period pains.
Since then my smears have been completely normal.
Try not to worry as it's very common for people to get borderline or abnormal smear results (something like 1 in 10 will be abnormal).
If you do have any dodgy cells they can remove them quickly and you'll be absolutely fine.

BigDeskBob Thu 13-Apr-17 16:16:47

I wouldn't worry too much about the quick appointment date. The clinics are held very often and with it being near Easter, they may have had a cancellation.

I've had three. They are not bad, more like an elaborate smear test. They took a sample of my cervix twice, but it wasn't painful.

I did have bad period type pains afterwards, so try not to drive if you can. Good luck

Freefalling123 Thu 13-Apr-17 20:44:55

Thank you all. I spoke to the surgery this afternoon who couldn't give me a phone appointment with the doctor until the day before the hospital appointment! I got a bit upset and said I was worried enough, so i now have a phone appointment on Thursday.

She assured me if the doc was really worried, then they would get me into the surgery as an urgent appointment, and that it's normal to get a colposcopy appointment quite quickly.

So, upshot is that I'm obviously still worried, but a bit more reassured.
I do appreciate your comments, thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now