Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

TMI (disgusting pic included) have bad cough, very ill and coughed up what looks like a long bit of spaghetti?

(11 Posts)
weddingopinionsplease Wed 12-Apr-17 13:11:56

I have coughed a few of these up - I'm very unwell with my cough. Is this just some weird mucus? Wondering if I have a chest infection as I am very poorly today. Can't get a docs appt today.

weddingopinionsplease Wed 12-Apr-17 13:12:37

Need to add - I haven't eaten anything in about 4 days, am just sipping water

muttrat Wed 12-Apr-17 13:14:31

Do you have bronchitis? I THINK it is mucus that gets stuck in the bronchial bits in you lungs?

LucieLucie Wed 12-Apr-17 13:14:33

Look up Ascaris lumbricoides (Round worm)

Hope the doctor can help, keep the tissue

TisMeTheLadFromTheBar Wed 12-Apr-17 13:15:26

It looks like you might have an infection. If your GP can't see you today, you could see what your Pharmacy can give you to make you feel better while you're waiting for your GP appointment.

Wolfiefan Wed 12-Apr-17 13:16:24

If you haven't been well enough to eat for four days and have coughed up what looks like a worm then you need to seek RL medical help.

weddingopinionsplease Wed 12-Apr-17 13:22:56

Muttrat I do think I have bronchitis, yes (now I've read the symptoms) and I now think what I've coughed up could be mucus that was stuck in the tubes. Technical term there! From what I've read they're more common in asthma sufferers but I don't have asthma.

I can get a docs appointment first thing in the morning so if I still can't eat I'll call and go in tomorrow.

I definitely don't think it was an actual worm or anything - it was definitely like mucus texture but I will show the doc the pic if I go tomorrow.

muttrat Wed 12-Apr-17 13:42:02

You poor thing. You sound really ill sad

weddingopinionsplease Tue 18-Apr-17 09:54:15

Just thought I'd better update in case anyone comes across this later! Went to the walk-in centre yesterday, doc confirmed I do have a chest infection (almost certainly bronchitis) and the horrible wormy mucus is what is basically getting stuck in the bronchioles (I think that's the part he said!) and is quite normal although more common in asthmatics (I am not asthmatic). I have been prescribed some antibiotics so it's all good.

LakeFlyPie Tue 18-Apr-17 22:42:42

Looks like a bronchial cast (fairly safe to google I think)
Definitely worth seeing your Dr.
Hope you're better soon

LakeFlyPie Tue 18-Apr-17 22:43:19

Sorry, just saw your update.
Glad you've got some treatment

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now