Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Scared of the dentist... help!

(7 Posts)
Cmajmp Tue 11-Apr-17 22:50:58

So my teeth are currently in really bad condition.... not to actually look at. (Non are missing or yellow etc). However I'm in absolute agony at the moment as one of my teeth looks as though it has a big hole and I have a really bad throbing pain on that side of my jaw and up to my cheek bone! I have braved it and made an appointment for tomorrow morning, however I really don't want to have the tooth out! I've always been scared of the dentist to avoided going for little things like a small filling etc and now it's coming back to bite me! I don't want the dentist to refuse to do anything other than remove the tooth because of the condition of my teeth. Just looking for reassurance that all will be ok in the morning! Thanks x

Deux Tue 11-Apr-17 22:59:26

OK, so you just have to brazen it out tomorrow. Take a deep breath. Well done on making the appointment. That's a brilliant step.

I suggest you're upfront with the dentist and tell them that fear has stopped you until now and pain is pushing you through that fear. They'll have dealt with similar before.

Tell them you're worried about losing the tooth and would prefer restoration if possible.

And then resolve to look after your teeth and have regular check ups.

It'll be no where as bad as your worst imaginings. Concentrate and focus on the result you want.

Good luck.

Cmajmp Tue 11-Apr-17 23:08:51

I can't even begin to explain how nervous I am for the appointment but it really needs to be done.

I'm currently on the verge of tears with the pain in my tooth tonight! Pain killers aren't even touching it now sad

And thank you. I will explain to the dentist my concerns as soon as I arrive !

Deux Wed 12-Apr-17 00:28:55

Just think. Tomorrow you're going to no longer be in the category of 'not been to the dentist for ages'. When you leave, you'll be in a different category of 'just been to the dentist'. Clean slate from tomorrow. Try not to beat yourself up. What's done is done. Deep breath, you can do it.

Try something cold against the pain on your face. Cold pack, frozen peas wrapped in a tea towel, hot water bottle filled with cold water, cold can of coke. My understanding is cold is better than hot for dental pain.

Do let us know how you get on.

GlitteryGlitter Wed 12-Apr-17 00:42:13

I've just been through this I hadn't been to the dentist in 9 years because I'm petrified!

I explained to the dentist that I was really really nervous and they've been lovely in the last 9 months I've had a my teeth cleaned 3 times and a filling! I had to take diazepam to calm me down before the filling but I did it! I was convinced I wouldn't be able to do it but I did and it was ok.

If I'm finding it too much I put my hand up and we take a break so I can catch my breath and then we carry on, ask if they can take things slowly.

It won't be as bad as you imagine, you can do it! flowers

Cmajmp Wed 12-Apr-17 01:47:44

Thank you for your replies ! I'm sure the worst bit is the build up to going. My appointment is at 9am and it honestly can't come quick enough.

I've tried frozen peas and it hasn't worked ! I literally can't sleep. I'm so tired. But tomorrow is a fresh start x

shitgibbon Wed 12-Apr-17 02:12:25

Whenever I have to do something I'm afraid of I focus on how I will feel after it's done.

It feels really really good to have done something scary once it's all over. Think of that. You'll be proud of yourself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now